PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
No demand, simply a request. I'm not making statements, simply reporting my observations and, yes anecdotal they are. You stated "vast majority" not I. Had you stated "in my opinion" I'd have no problem but, you posted as a fact.

IBTL! rotf

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
Time to fish or cut bait: Do you have a cite on a site that gives the 90% figure, or the "vast" majority one?
As I mentioned, the 90% statement is an opinion. In my *opinion* if you give your dog people food, you shouldn't have a dog, because that is bad for them. If they are overweight, you shouldn't have a dog. If you don't socialize them around other dogs, you shouldn't have a dog. If they jump on people, you shouldn't have a dog.

8 Behavioral Problems Common With Shelter Dogs (+Solutions) 2020 (petlists.org)
Top 10 Behavior Issues In Rescue Dogs - Wag The Dog UK
Rescue Dog Behavior: How To Help Your New Pet Feel At Home (wideopenpets.com)
Behavior Problems and Long Term Housing (maddiesfund.org)

You're obviously not going to find an exact percentage of dogs with behavioral issues because they want people to adopt them. But you sure do see the phrases "very common" and "be prepared to re-train" an awful lot. And again, it's not the dog's fault, they are simply adapting to their environment. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a physically-mature shelter dog that doesn't have one of the aforementioned behavioral issues. Thus, vast majority.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob
Years ago, I was out riding my bike with my setter, Scamp, and we stopped for water. When, all of these little dachshunds came running up. I was all smiles at how cute, till the quickly formed a circle around us, and started working us like mongooses working a cobra down. They drew in the circle tighter and tighter, and Scamp was all looking me in the eye like, "how do we get out of this, boss?" I mean, I could have just stomped my way out, but I really didn't want to hurt these dogs. Luckily, just as I was making the decision to make grease out of these small dogs, when their owner came out and got them wrangled back in. Weirdest damn thing, just one more minute, and I would have had a totally different story to tell.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
Years ago, I was out riding my bike with my setter, Scamp, and we stopped for water. When, all of these little dachshunds came running up. I was all smiles at how cute, till the quickly formed a circle around us, and started working us like mongooses working a cobra down. They drew in the circle tighter and tighter, and Scamp was all looking me in the eye like, "how do we get out of this, boss?" I mean, I could have just stomped my way out, but I really didn't want to hurt these dogs. Luckily, just as I was making the decision to make grease out of these small dogs, when their owner came out and got them wrangled back in. Weirdest damn thing, just one more minute, and I would have had a totally different story to tell.
Weiner dogs are mean little bastards. There were a couple that used to terrorize my brothers and me when we were wee lads. Varmint dogs are nutjobs haha

Status
Not open for further replies.