PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OwlTellYa

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
Upstate NY, USA
I purchased a Kriswill estate pipe from eBay for cheap. It looked to be in rough condition, although there were no obvious problems with it—looked like it needed a deep, deep cleaning, which I enjoy doing. When I did salt and alcohol in the bowl overnight, I came back the next day to discover a bit of salt and moisture underneath the bowl. No problem, I thought, sometimes not everything gets in the bowl as much as I try to be neat about it. But I have been testing it out today with only the alcohol, and I think it’s coming through the bottom of the bowl. There is no visible crack there. I am guessing that’s it for this pipe, but if you have any tips I’d love to hear them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like a pinhole maybe. I've fixed that problem by identifying where it is, pressing a glue stick into the affected area, and wiping away the excess. Allow the pipe to dry a few days prior to adding the glue though.

OwlTellYa

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
Upstate NY, USA
Sounds like a pinhole maybe. I've fixed that problem by identifying where it is, pressing a glue stick into the affected area, and wiping away the excess. Allow the pipe to dry a few days prior to adding the glue though.
Tips on how to find the pinhole? I see nothing. But of course my eyes are 55 years old.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I purchased a Kriswill estate pipe from eBay for cheap. It looked to be in rough condition, although there were no obvious problems with it—looked like it needed a deep, deep cleaning, which I enjoy doing. When I did salt and alcohol in the bowl overnight, I came back the next day to discover a bit of salt and moisture underneath the bowl. No problem, I thought, sometimes not everything gets in the bowl as much as I try to be neat about it. But I have been testing it out today with only the alcohol, and I think it’s coming through the bottom of the bowl. There is no visible crack there. I am guessing that’s it for this pipe, but if you have any tips I’d love to hear them.
Thin layer of pipe mud or sodium silicate in the bottom of the bowl will fix it.