PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Much more convienient. You dont have to invest the time and money for a full cigar. Also just different. I prefer it over most cigars.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Na. I never got into cigars, most of them I really did not enjoy the taste or smell. But I did have one that was Kentucky based which reminded me of HH Old Dark Fired ready rubbed that was pretty good. But it’s pipes for me. If you’re not going crazy with PAD it’s a cheaper hobby too lol

Reactions: PA Piper Mike

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
A short cigar story: Back in the late 80s I had a friend who worked in a pipe/cigar shop. I don't think I ever visited him when he didn't have a stogie sticking out of his mouth. I noticed that it always seemed to be the same thing, a short, fat, black cigar. I finally asked and he told me it was a Punch Rothchild, maduro or double maduro (or Hoyo de Monterey, the same thing). He offered me one and that was that.... I was hooked. Then the clincher. He informed me that he smoked seconds and that the only thing wrong with them was the wrapper color was a little off. Not a big deal at all. Then he informed me that, if I wished, he would supply me with all I wanted for $16 per bundle of 100! This was before the cigar boom hit. I pounced on the offer and before long I was sucking down several a day. Then the boom hit. All of a sudden there were no "seconds" available and the price went up from 16 cents each to $1.25 and continued going up. That was the end of my short love affair with cigars. puffy

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
Same.
I am the grandson of a cuban-born cigar smoker. And yet, I never found enjoyment with cigars. Not like I do with pipes, anyway.
You just haven't had a real cuban cigar lol. Just kidding of course. I smoked cigars of my dad's I knicked in Havana. I enjoy a good cigar every now and then but I haven't found a cigar I like as much as real Cohibas.

Reactions: yanoJL

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I smoke about 50% of both cigars and pipes. The are very different from each other. Which one I smoke is dependent on where I am. I primarily smoke cigars when outside and pipes when inside.

Reactions: Jbrewer2002
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I smoke about 50% of both cigars and pipes. The are very different from each other. Which one I smoke is dependent on where I am. I primarily smoke cigars when outside and pipes when inside.

^This pretty much sums up my situation.

While I have many tins and jars of pipe tobacco, I also have more than ten humidors filled with cigars.

Pipes and cigars are very different experiences and enjoyable in very different ways for me.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Just considering the title of the thread, absolutely not—cigars and pipes are significantly different and neither is just another form of the other anymore than saying cigarettes are another form of dip, or snuff is another form of whatever else. The experiences are too different, and mostly the flavor too.

That said, I never cared for cigars myself. Don't like the smell or the taste, though admittedly I haven't tried that many cigars, but probably enough to say for certain that as a general rule, I don't like them. Whether some rare exceptions apply isn't something I even feel compelled to find.

I do smoke cigarettes though. So concerning the other half of the idea of the thread, no, I don't feel the need to have another form of tobacco after having a pipe. I only smoke whole bowls at a time (I'm not one to have a pipe for 15 minutes, set it down and then come back later). Smoking a whole bowl over 45 minutes to 1.5 hours leaves me as satisfied with tobacco as smoking a cigarette for 5-10 min, and for about the same amount of time (I generally crave a cigarette/tobacco/nicotine about once per hour on average). After I finish my pipe, it's about an hour before I crave tobacco again.

Semi-related: nicotine patches, gums and nasal snuff don't kill any craving or satisfy in the same way. They take the edge off a bit, but the craving is still there. But example, when flying and using a patch (21mg or whatever is generally the highest dose), the first thing I do after landing and getting my bags, is go outside, rip the patch off and light up a cigarette.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
You just haven't had a real cuban cigar lol. Just kidding of course. I smoked cigars of my dad's I knicked in Havana. I enjoy a good cigar every now and then but I haven't found a cigar I like as much as real Cohibas.
I don't think I have had a good Cuban cigar, actually. I tried to buy one while visiting Mexico last year, but I don't have the skill to tell a fake from the real thing. I'm not sure it was authentic.

I do have family in Canada. I'm sure I could get them to send me one, now that I think about it.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
I don't think I have had a good Cuban cigar, actually. I tried to buy one while visiting Mexico last year, but I don't have the skill to tell a fake from the real thing. I'm not sure it was authentic.

I do have family in Canada. I'm sure I could get them to send me one, now that I think about it.
My dad gets then in the US somehow. He says he knows people.

Reactions: yanoJL