PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainFrank

Lurker
Apr 6, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm new to pipe smoking. Have just received a brand new Savinelli Avorio rusticated and the stem was reeeaaally tight. After repeated twisting and pulling, and some elbow grease eventually managed to get the stem out for inspection and cleaning before lighting the pipe up for the very first time.

However, when I attempted to insert the stem back ... the shank cracked in 3 places. Two hairline cracks joined about 1/4" down the shank, basically forming a "U" shape (now I know that I should have sanded down the tennon before attempting re-insertion but, oh well ... beginner's costly mistake). No chipping though.

After 15 minutes of dispair and utter missery I reached out to my very thin super glue and applied to all those cracks (being so thin, it was sucked up immediately due to capilarity). After letting it sit for a bit a bit, I re-inserted the stem, which went in without much resistance this time however, the cracks did opened up a tinny, tinny bit. Next I applied a shightly thicker super glue over those cracks and have let it cure.

There is a good chance that some glue will end up on the tennon, inside the shank ... which means I'll never be able to remove it. Based on your experience, how big of an issue is that ? I am not concerned about cleaning part (which I'm sure I can still do it properly) as with the possbility of the shank cracking again due to potential expansion when heated.

Since I've haven't smoked it yet, I am not attached to this pipe but it would be great if I could still smoked it for a while, which would diminish somehow the pain of throwing $100+ bucks down the drain.

Many thanks for your time !

Reactions: newbroom

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
See if you can return it to where you bought it or send it to Savinelli for repair/replacement. It would seem to be a manufacturer defect. Otherwise you would have to send it to one of the pipe repair experts in the forum for a band. Just 2 cents. Next time just put a little wax on the stem tenon prior to insert; put it in the freezer for a few minutes before removing tight stem.

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Agreed with above, no way that should have been so tight. I'm going to assume this was a new pipe? I would contact the seller first, if you get no satisfaction i would email Savinelli, send them pictures, type of pipe, any inserts that came with it, you know the whole shebang and tell them exactly what you put here about how tight it was and how it cracked. From what I have seen in the past they have fantastic customer support and i cannot imagine they won't fix you up.

captainFrank

Lurker
Apr 6, 2024
Thanks very much guys for sharing your thoughts and advice !

Its a brand new pipe I bought from smokingpipes.com. I will reach out to them but I fear they might not be interested in warranty/repair/exchange anymore since I tried to fix it myself first :(

• Sad
Reactions: woodsroad

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks very much guys for sharing your thoughts and advice !

Its a brand new pipe I bought from smokingpipes.com. I will reach out to them but I fear they might not be interested in warranty/repair/exchange anymore since I tried to fix it myself first :(
Oh they will most likely defiantly take care of you!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The pipe should be made where the stem can be removed with minimal effort. Bieber, I rarely remove the stem. No need to, more can go wrong than can go good.

Reactions: PaulRVA

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
That's great to hear ! :) Will email them and hope for the best then !
Email them or just call them Monday, either way. I've only dealt with the customer service a couple times and both times they hooked me right up no issues at all. One was a pipe that was new can came with an effed up finish and they sent me out a new pipe right away and the other was when i ordered a bunch of tins and one of them showed up unsealed.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I would definitely request an exchange. A stem should never be that tight.

If a stem is just a little bit too tight, I'll melt a bit of beeswax and apply it to the tenon of the stem, wiping the majority off before reinserting the stem. That's usually all it needs to be able to glide smoothly and easily.

Reactions: romaso

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It isn't often I remove a stem, but it does happen. I usually remove it if the pipe isn't smoking like it normally does so remove the stem and run a pipe cleaner through it with some sweetener through it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Depends. I never take my pipes apart because of the 'age' thing. I do not want to risk damaging amber stems or fine meerschaum threading. I find a long soft pipe cleaner and an occasional bowl scrape is all that is needed. Everyone is different. Some people are not satisfied unless they strip their pipe down like a Henry AR-7 survival rifle and then soak each part in a metal cleaning tray over night. Whatever makes you happy I suppose. Unlike certain government agencies I am a great believer of live and let live or as the great late @weezel used to say - YMMV!

captainFrank

Lurker
Apr 6, 2024
Well, smokingpipes response contained just a recommendation for a repair shop ... So NO replacement or exchange :confused:

Although it is my fault for not contacting them when I noticed the problem with the stem, it is disappointing that they would ship a pipe without checking the stem fitting first.

Anyway, I will not repair it - financially it doesn't make sense (and I am yet to smoke it, so no idea how good a pipe it is). The stem is stuck again - maybe it's the glue, maybe not, but I don't want to force it to find out. I will smoke it as is and if it becomes sour, or develops other problems, I'll retire it or throw it out. At least I'll some millage out of it.

Was planning to get another Savinelli Onda/Miele, Peterson Harp or Brigham Klondike from smokingpipes but now I think I'm gonna hold off for a while.

• Sad
Reactions: AroEnglish
Mar 20, 2024
Very surprised by the response from SP. Depending on the response, I might try again if it were me. Having to sand the stem before reinserting to the shank is not intuitive and an easy mistake to make without having the experience you have now gone through. This crack is not your fault (could have been avoided but not your fault nonetheless) and IMO they shouldn’t fault you (though they may) for an attempt to repair because with a busted shank I’m sure they would have sent it back to Savinelli who would almost certainly just toss it. Best of luck Captain

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, smokingpipes response contained just a recommendation for a repair shop ... So NO replacement or exchange :confused:

Although it is my fault for not contacting them when I noticed the problem with the stem, it is disappointing that they would ship a pipe without checking the stem fitting first.

Anyway, I will not repair it - financially it doesn't make sense (and I am yet to smoke it, so no idea how good a pipe it is). The stem is stuck again - maybe it's the glue, maybe not, but I don't want to force it to find out. I will smoke it as is and if it becomes sour, or develops other problems, I'll retire it or throw it out. At least I'll some millage out of it.

Was planning to get another Savinelli Onda/Miele, Peterson Harp or Brigham Klondike from smokingpipes but now I think I'm gonna hold off for a while.
Unfortunately, since you attempted a repair yourself, SPC is under no obligation to replace it. That's a precedent no business would set, as it opens a Pandora's box. Once you have altered the merchandise, for any reason, you own it.
It's unfortunate that you bought a lemon. If something like this happens in the future, just return the item unless you are willing to be stuck with it. If removing the stem was enough to shatter the shank on a new pipe there was a LOT wrong with it. The fit can change for a variety of reasons and adjusting it can be tried without sanding down the tenon, which is a bell that cannot be unrung.
You can ask an online store to check the fit before shipping out a pipe to you. They are under no obligation to do so, but it doesn't strike me as a huge ask.
Or better, support your local B&M if you have one near you, and buy a pipe from them where you can hold the pipe in your hands before you purchase it.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’m sorry this has happened. It’s a shame you attempted your own repair before contacting the seller (they might’ve accepted a return if you left it “as is”).

A problem with the pipe being permanently stuck in its present state that comes to mind—by default, Savinelli ships its 6mm filter pipes with a balsa filter in place. You made no mention if you removed this and/or put the 6mm adapter in place. A balsa filter is only good for about three smokes at best. If one us trapped in there, it’s going to get funky.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
first don't fight a stem. Use some of the tricks people suggested. My guess is you tried this right after getting the pipe. If so one of the things that can mess with wood is sudden environmental changes. Live and learn. And second rule don't buy a pipe that doesn't have a decent return policy. Even the best makers can send out a pipe with flaws that won't show until you you get it in hand.

Reactions: BenMN

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Why not, if you can get a pipe cleaner through it and clean it properly. I have a nice little Castello, Old Antiquary, Canadian about 30 years old. Shortly after I bought it a large chip broke off the tip of the shank right where the stem fits in. A hidden flaw in the wood. Tried, couldn't fix it so it would hold. Finally I gave up and just glued the stem and broken piece all together. Works fine and smoke it all the time with no problem. puffy

inggline (2).jpg

Reactions: Puff nstuff

captainFrank

Lurker
Apr 6, 2024
Thanks again to everyone who took the time to write back ! Appreciate it !

To answer a few questions:
  • yes, I did remove the balsa filter before reinserting the stem (I used the filter it came with to soak up some of the excess glue actually).
  • the box the pipe came in had sit for a few hours before being opened. The temperature around here were in the 50F-60F range, humidity was low, shipping was fast so I doubt the environmental change played any role in this instance but I'll keep that in mind for next time(s).
To add some context to this thread, here are a few pictures of the pipe and the damage/repair. Last picture shows the pipe ready for its "maiden voyage" which took place this morning :col:

dSC_1394.JPG
dSC_1405.JPG
IMG_7583.jpg

Reactions: AroEnglish
Status
Not open for further replies.