PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Time is a bandit that steals fond memories.

But I lived during a time when I had a car and a famous grandmother who’d been a drover of wagons from Weaubleau Station to Ha Ha Tonka, and I had the good sense to ask my girlfriend to go with me driving Ma Agee.

A777B922-A148-45F1-BC28-673169D51FAD.png6164529E-0045-40A7-A5F9-5021B8838A8E.jpeg98D654AB-FDBE-4EC3-97CF-7CA5C88F2608.jpeg
On those long lost days I’d pick up my girl and drive to Hermatige where she’d be waiting, in full make up and dressed to impress.

I’d explain ahead of time she loved tobacco but only if, it was kept a secret.

My girl made it a point to buy an extra package of Virginia Slims long menthol to share with her.

Another thing I’d prepare my girl for is that under no circumstances did Ma Agee ever ride up front, she was chauffeured sitting in the back.

By the end of the first roadside excursion, often the old Christian Church at Weableau where her Eric graduated college in 1901, my girl would ride back there with her so they could visit better.

No boy ever had a better wingman than I had in Ma Agee, in a smoke filled car on the road to Ha Ha Tonka.

The wind, mussed her hair.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Of course it is a vice. That's what makes it useful. A man without a vice is not a man to be trusted, and as far as vices themselves are concerned, one can do far worse than either the leaf or the grain.
All people are exactly the same all over the world and since we lived in caves.

We seek pleasure and avoid pain, and we can look at our elders and realize the same will happen to us.

In our dim past somebody took some fermented grain and drank it and got drunk. Before long they were raising the best kind of grain to make beer.

And over in the American continent somebody tried smoking tobacco and said oh me, oh my I want more of that plant.

All work and no vices makes a man like the beasts of the field, not a man with a soul that needs salved.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
In her youth she was almost six feet tall with waist length locks of curly raven black hair.

In her old age I can remember her with a tall, slim erect figure and silver hair, working out a deal to have the wealthy owners of The Index come personally to her on Sunday afternoons when us grandkids would be there to split the proceeds of the last week’s sale of her book, and pick up a new weekly column of her Ma and Pa series for publication in the next week’s paper.

Of course being an old time Christian she’d never consent to suing or testifying against the producers of the Beverley Hillbillies who were wholesale ripping off the story lines from her weekly columns, no never.

Besides over a thousand dollars a week each and the largest circulation of any one press newspaper in Christian civilization was surely enough, wasn’t it?

She left behind little witnesses, and we’uns ain’t about dead yet, you know?

We’d take her long blacksnake whip out in the garden, and try making it crack like Grandma.

She’d try showing us, but we were too young to master the perquisite skills of a mule skinner, that of cracking that long whip around (but not on) the mule’s ears.

Truth was she was embarrassed by her eight grade education and secret hillbilly ways.
Oh yeah baby, this is the United States that I love. I don't know if it is a vice, for me it is simply living on a planet where we have had to experience these discoveries. I do sports for health and not for aesthetics and I am not happy to reach 120 years old, and talking with an intelligent chip in my balls, to communicate with living beings.teddy-bear-toys-nature-teddy-bear-forest.jpg

Last edited:

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
That about says it all.
I can't express well with the translator. But I loved Dolly Parton's music video, that's the America I always like to see and remember, from old Europe. I'm not a fan of eating lettuce juices and forest seeds to last 50 more years of life. This is simply what we have, either you enjoy it or you are a body cult mummy. Physical deterioration is inevitable, I am sure there will come a day when humanity will be just like in the Blade Runner movie, a mixture of synthetic beings drinking liquids through the anus with a titanium straw.

Reactions: Kobold and brian64

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
Attitudes to tobacco (like many things) differ in the city vs in the countryside.

Generally in rural areas you can do as you please more. And its not just because theres the space to do so. People are just.. better

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72 and warren

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Oh yeah baby, this is the United States that I love. I don't know if it is a vice, for me it is simply living on a planet where we have had to experience these discoveries. I do sports for health and not for aesthetics and I am not happy to reach 120 years old, and talking with an intelligent chip in my balls, to communicate with living beings.View attachment 169958
I can't express well with the translator. But I loved Dolly Parton's music video, that's the America I always like to see and remember, from old Europe. I'm not a fan of eating lettuce juices and forest seeds to last 50 more years of life. This is simply what we have, either you enjoy it or you are a body cult mummy. Physical deterioration is inevitable, I am sure there will come a day when humanity will be just like in the Blade Runner movie, a mixture of synthetic beings drinking liquids through the anus with a titanium straw.
I'm glad this got bumped...I missed these the first time. Two more of your spontaneous missives that are true gems.

Reactions: timelord and JOHN72
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Oh yeah baby, this is the United States that I love. I don't know if it is a vice, for me it is simply living on a planet where we have had to experience these discoveries. I do sports for health and not for aesthetics and I am not happy to reach 120 years old, and talking with an intelligent chip in my balls, to communicate with living beings.View attachment 169958
Will the intelligent chip in my balls automatically swap out the titanium straw with a clean, Cumberland stem when I want to smoke? Maybe a P-lip will provide cooler smoke?