PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Not when you consider the number of forum members that own 100+ pipes ;)
Granted, there are people who are avid pipe collector, the question remains however, how many of them would have ever started collecting pipes without smoking first? My point is, it's not a chicken or the egg thing. In fact, it's closer to neither. I want to smoke so I purchased a pipe and the tobacco.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That is common with a lot of young men when they are in high school and college.
I'm not sure condoms were invented yet when I was in high school. I think they sold cheap ones in gas station bathroom out of machine. My understanding was the failure rate on those were high. Plus, they didn't offer XXL size which I needed. rotf

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
The pipe is first place for me but I like them because they are useful. Having said that, a pipe is much more than a “tool” (for me at least). If I didn’t have pipes I wouldn’t smoke except for a cigar every 2-3 months….maybe. I don’t smoke cigarettes or chew tobacco. I enjoy the history, the looks, and the collection of my pipes, even if I didn’t smoke them.. But I do smoke them and enjoy the taste of the tobacco so the tobacco is a close second for me and intertwined as others have pointed out.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I generally smoke only about 3 tobaccos or so these days. So I spend more time choosing which vessel to load. I smoke a pipe because I like pipes. Been a tobacco user many years before the pipe.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I doubt that I would have smoked if it wasn't for a forestry professor at my university. One of the most refined humans I've ever met and if you've every met a forestry student, you'd know we were a wild bunch. The Prof was a mentor to every student he ever had and he did it so unobtrusively that none of us knew he was making sure we didn't ruin our lives before they began.

Lovely fellow. So for me, I think the pipe came first. Smoking a pipe was a pose at first, a silly sign that I was a man, then it became a habit.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Rather absurd question, don't you think? I don't eat steak because I bought a knife. I don't buy a car because I bought gas. I don't take a dump because I purchased toilet paper. I don't have sex just because I bought a condom.
lolol, great post Mark, thanks for the laugh.

I buy tobacco to smoke and I buy certain pipes to smoke said tobacco. For me there is a symbiotic relationship. If the tobacco is no good, I don't care how well a pipe smokes, if it tastes like shit it tastes like shit. If I buy a pipe that gurgles and makes me want to shove an icepick into my ear then then that is a different set of problems.

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
Both. I acquire pipes for their look; the shape, the curve, the grain, the blast, etc. Some folks have 1 or 2 pipes and smoke for the tobacco, but I am not one. I have 80+ pipes, all of which I love. I choose my tobacco for the taste, as most of us do, not just to create smoke. There are tobaccos I detest, and don't smoke. I choose the pipe of the day, then look over my tobacco choices, what haven't I had in a while, and where I'll smoke it, and then choose the tobacco.

Reactions: Papamique

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Tobacco. A pipe is no real matter to me. If I had to - I'd roll my tobacco in cig paper. If all I had were corncobs, that'd be fine too. That's why I only own 5 pipes and never paid over 250 usd for any of them.

In my 45+ years of pipe-puffing I've never heard of anyone just owning pipes and not smoking.