PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I was just doing some tobacco shopping on line and took a look at Sir Walter Raleigh. Buying it in the 7oz. tin it came out to $4.42 an oz. This is over double what it was a couple years ago.

I then took a look at my favorite blend. This is a premium English from a major foreign company that, fortunately for me, I can by in bulk. It costs me $2.82 an oz..

Am I missing something or simple crazy? Why should a plain old American drug store blend cost more than a high quality imported English blend? Would someone do an old man a favor and explain it to me? cray

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
SWR at 7 oz is $4.42. Your English blend, a bulk, is $2.82 an oz. So, SWR is still much cheaper than your English blend. Not to mention most tin of 2 oz is over $20. Price just keep going up. There are solutions for it, but people in power doesn't want to do it. Did I mention US has shit ton of oil/gas under our controlled territories? More than anyone else? Start pumping and there will be no reason for income tax.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I've noticed that too. Price of the OTCs have gone stoopid. stock up on your favorite blend. as they say, prices will never be any cheaper...

Reactions: bent1

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
SWR at 7 oz is $4.42. Your English blend, a bulk, is $2.82 an oz. So, SWR is still much cheaper than your English blend. Not to mention most tin of 2 oz is over $20. Price just keep going up. There are solutions for it, but people in power doesn't want to do it. Did I mention US has shit ton of oil/gas under our controlled territories? More than anyone else? Start pumping and there will be no reason for income tax.
"SWR at 7 oz is $4.42. Your English blend, a bulk, is $2.82 an oz. So, SWR is still much cheaper than your English blend."

You should contact the school where you studied math, you might be entitled to a refund on your degree. puffy

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
"SWR at 7 oz is $4.42. Your English blend, a bulk, is $2.82 an oz. So, SWR is still much cheaper than your English blend."

You should contact the school where you studied math, you might be entitled to a refund on your degree. puffy
Pretty sure it’s his reading and comprehension that need a brush up. I know I saw “Buying it in the 7oz. tin it came out to $4.42 an oz.”
SWR isn’t a bend the RYO guys use, is it? That may provide a supply/demand hike.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Where are you buying from? I bought a 7oz can of SWRA from pipes and cigars and it was roughly $2.40 an ounce. Even taking away the sale price I don't think it goes as high as $4.00 an ounce in that site.
That's just it, I'm not buying it any more. I just looked at "pipes and cigars" and they are a little cheaper at 22.29 for 7ozs. But, that's still high in comparison to many other blends. I think it's time for me to stop whining about it and find a substitute. Damn shame, I like it as a change of pace smoke. :cry:

Reactions: huckleberry

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

Read it wrong. So an ounce of SWR is $4.42. OK. That is expensive. Glad I haven't bought any tobacco in awhile. Last 3 years of my K -12 education was messed up due to too much good alcoholic beverages. Didn't do much of math in college. Even with lack of my effort in highschool, education residual from Korea and NYC help getting out of them in college.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I wonder if this trend will extend to the prices of “drug store” pipes. Will there come a time when Yello-Bowls and Grabows will be more expensive than Petersons and Savinellis?