PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I was perusing Ebay and came across this Saiseni that caught my eye, the seller claims it is unsmoked, but from the look of the chamber, I have my doubts.

I am interested in another pipe that he has listed, but the description of this pipe and my own ignorance of this seller have me hesitant to bid on the other pipe.

Does anyone have any experience with this seller? If so what was it like?
Saiseni pipe

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I would say definitely unsmoked- what you're seeing is a bowl coat that didn't adhere at the top of the chamber. That can happen if you get wax or buffing compound in the chamber during your final polish. The bowl coat is the final step(at least in my process). To prevent that, after buffing I use a fine grit just inside the chamber to get rid of the wax.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Hard to tell. The coating looks new or unsmoked but it could be a new coating too. Low definition photos do not make it easy to tell. The pipe is in excellent condition so it could be unsmoked.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I'm sure this pipe is probably a decent smoker and I like the color, but the fills on it are a bit to noticeable for my taste.

To each his own, right?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
In the family era Sasieni carbonized their bowls at the factory. Here is an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201945634779?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
That pipe's bowl interior looks a little different, but that could be down to lighting.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lighting is poor, so can't tell, but I'd be more concerned with the fills than whether a bit of smoking has occurred.
s-l1600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sasieni carbonized their bowls:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/sasieni-bowls-coated

That definitely looks unsmoked to my eye (I had been watching that one).

Of course that is a seconds line made by Sasieni, so those are fills.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I like a pipe with fills, the fills are not a deal breaker, and usually the price break is pleasing. But some don't like fills ever, at all, and that's fair. Pipes last for decades, so you want what you can live with.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Let me show my ignorance... Why is fill material not clear? Why not use a polished superglue fill? It is used all of the time for cracks, sometimes mixed with briar dust, sometimes not, and it looks a helluva lot better than that putty most often used.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
mso, I do like the color and shape of the pipe, but the fills are to noticeable for my tastes. If I bought this pipe, it would be primarily a knock around pipe for me and I don't need another one of those.

However, I was interested another pipe that the seller had advertised and I wanted to make sure he wasn't being untruthful about this pipe, which would call into question whether I wanted to bid on one of his other pipes.

However, the pipe seems to be unsmoked as he claims, and the seller seems to be honest enough, so I did place a bid on another of his pipes.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Smoked or unsmoked, I don't know. What I DO know is that it is not a Sasieni pipe. Sasieni pipes were not marked IMPORTED BRIAR, and all the seconds that I have ever seen (and that's quite a few...) have had a shape code.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great point Dave! There's no shot of the nomenclature that shows anything Sasieni (COM, etc.) Speculation on the sellers part.

Status
Not open for further replies.