PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Kia ora,

I’m looking for broken gourd calabashes to practice restemming and making cups for. Not too worried about condition, however it would be nice if the gourds themselves aren’t too damaged.

Let me know if you see any for cheap on the bay or have any lying around gathering dust. I can provide a US or UK shipping address of that helps.

Chur

🤙🏼

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Kia ora,

I’m looking for broken gourd calabashes to practice restemming and making cups for. Not too worried about condition, however it would be nice if the gourds themselves aren’t too damaged.

Let me know if you see any for cheap on the bay or have any lying around gathering dust. I can provide a US or UK shipping address of that helps.

Chur

🤙🏼
Dave,
Interested in how you plan to re-shape/rebuild a bowl

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’m going to replace them with cups made from briar, and I want to have a play around with cutting the gourds on different angles to the traditional look
I did wonder if you came across a few blocks of meerschaum or perhaps fashioning a cup from plaster of Paris

I have an old gourd with a fixed rolled gold rim that is missing its bowl.
I’m still trying to figure how to remove the rim without damaging the gourd and rim without having to get a jeweller to do it.
Then I have to figure how to form a new bowl 🤔
Looks like a retirement project rotf

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ahi Ka

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
FWIW -- Briar works great for a basher. Lighter in weight, visually attractive, won't break if dropped, etc.

(the gourd color difference is an additional 15 years of smoking... the bowl was made in '08, the top pic was taken a few months ago)

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 7.45.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 7.47.20 PM.png

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I did wonder if you came across a few blocks of meerschaum or perhaps fashioning a cup from plaster of Paris

I have an old gourd with a fixed rolled gold rim that is missing its bowl.
I’m still trying to figure how to remove the rim without damaging the gourd and rim without having to get a jeweller to do it.
Then I have to figure how to form a new bowl 🤔
Looks like a retirement project rotf
I know a guy who can modify it to a cannabis pipe and you’ll double your money selling it. 😂

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Ah, you’re talking to a klutz who has problems hammering in a nail straight rotf
I’ve decided that I’m going to join a “men’s shed“ when I retire in a few years

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I know a guy who can modify it to a cannabis pipe and you’ll double your money selling it. 😂
Wait, doesn’t it just involve placing a piece of mesh on the bottom of the bowl ?
During my undergrad years we just rolled them up.
None of the fancy paraphernalia you see offered around the place

EB & WB would be rolling around in their graves if they knew one of their antique pieces was being re-fashioned into a weed pipe

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Wait, doesn’t it just involve placing a piece of mesh on the bottom of the bowl ?
During my undergrad years we just rolled them up.
None of the fancy paraphernalia you see offered around the place

EB & WB would be rolling around in their graves if they knew one of their antique pieces was being re-fashioned into a weed pipe
Haha you appear to know more about it than me. I think the barling family would take a small delight in your calabash being repurposed - it is a ben Wade isn’t it?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Timber turning and tawny port! Lovely
Actually I’m having as couple of mates over for lunch in a couple of weeks
One is an amateur silversmith and the other is an amateur woodworker
Thanks for jogging the grey cells
I’ll show them the pipe and this thread to what they come up with 👍

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Haha you appear to know more about it than me. I think the barling family would take a small delight in your calabash being repurposed - it is a ben Wade isn’t it?
No maker’s or tobacconist hallmarks that I can make out.
The gourd is in great shape and has coloured into a beautiful dark honey tone.
It’s a nice display piece, but even better if I can return it to active service

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Actually I’m having as couple of mates over for lunch in a couple of weeks
One is an amateur silversmith and the other is an amateur woodworker
Thanks for jogging the grey cells
I’ll show them the pipe and this thread to what they come up with 👍
I’m sure the 3 of you could have it up and running by the end of the appetisers.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Gourd pipe of any condition seems to be hard to find now days. My one pipe dream at this point is gourd pipe of decent size or Peterson meer or Peterson bog oak.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Yeah, that's my problem. I don't have US$500 to spend on a pipe at this time. Unless I say goodbye to some of my pocket knives.
The turn of the century Irish bog oaks you can pick up for $30 - granted they don’t have the Peterson band or plip. But they are great smokers, especially if you don’t mind a small bowl like a clay.

I’ll keep an eye out for a bash or meer 🤙🏼

Reactions: bullet08