PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I could have provided more context I guess but figured that would reveal itself by watching the video.

I enjoy watching him from time to time - and also enjoying the charming mess of pipes, tins, pipe bags, books, books, books and so forth all over the place in his study. Quite a character.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Lá 'le Pádraig tops Burns Night.
I Wasn't aware it was a competition

"Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim’rous beastie,
O, what a panic’s in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi’ bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an’ chase thee,
Wi’ murdering pattle!"

Small, cowering, timid animal.
What frightens you within your heart?
You should not be so quick to run away so noisily hasty.
I really don't want to chase after you, with bad intentions and weapon in hand!"

"I’m truly sorry Mans dominion has broken Nature’s social union,
An’ justifies that ill opinion
Which makes thee startle
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion
An’ fellow-mortal!"

I am very sorry that human rule over the world has broken our unity with nature. I am sorry you are startled and have such low opinion of us. We are both born of humble beginnings and are both mortal beings together on this planet.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
latest

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I do like to celebrate many things Scottish being of Scottish descent, (with a 150 year stop-over in Antrim prior to heading to North America). But gave haggis a decent trial, eating it about 6 times and it's not in my top 250 foods.:LOL:

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I wonder how many Scots eat haggis, other than on Burns Night
My half-Scots wife 🤮 at the mention
While I love offal, lights (I dislike the texture) are off the menu for me.
Burns Night causes a divide in my house. My wife is English and despises haggis, as does my youngest daughter. Myself and the older two kids really like it, so it's about the only day where two separate meals are prepared.

Tradionally it's served with needs (turnip) and potatos (tatties), but its eaten regularly by people in other guises. It is often stuffed into chicken breast with bacon wrapped around it and is named chicken balmoral, sometimes into pies or as a pizza topping. My favourite is as a part of a full Scottish breakfast which is a great hangover cure.
1000014980.jpg

1000014982.jpg

Attachments

• 1000014979.jpg
    1000014979.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Interestingly enough St Patrick is from Scotland. I know a guy from Scotland and he said Burns day in Scotland isn't much of a big deal
I’ve always heard that the consensus among historians & scholars is that St. Patrick was Welsh, kidnapped by Irish pirates near Port Talbot on the south wales coast.
IMG_5480.jpeg