PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
This exchange between Jon Carroll and mystery writer, Ross Macdonald (real name, Kenneth Millar), originally appeared in Esquire Magazine in June of 1972:

The reporter said: “It seems that people who read a great many mystery stories are subject to a kind of social hazing. It seems to be considered a mild vice, like smoking cigars or speaking too loudly.”​
“I think,” said Millar, settling into his chair, “that there are serious reasons for it. The mystery novel deals with subjects that are untouched in the kind of sensitive and stiff middle-class society you’re talking about—death, crime and other forms of evil. The subject is evil; all mystery novels are about evil. Evil has traditionally not been talked about very much. I really think the roots of the mystery novel go back to the medieval fabliau, which deliberately dealt with taboo subjects. I think it’s significant that very early dramas were known as mysteries. They dealt in a more human way than the Scriptures or church services with sacred subjects and matters of good and evil. Now, of course, what used to be taboo is more or less taken for granted. But a certain aura of evil hangs around the form—the same kind of aura that, for a different reason, hangs around sex writing.”​
Awkward silence. The reporter then said: “Another link between sex writing and thriller writing is that they are both popular arts.”​
Millar leaned forward, sighting an easy opening. “Very much so. That’s the primary reason that I’m a mystery writer. I have a very strong feeling that it’s the duty of a writer, or at least of this particular writer, to write popular fiction. Ideally, a community tends to communicate with itself through its fiction, and this communication tends to break down if there are Mandarin novels written for Mandarins and lowbrow novels written for lowbrows, and so on. My aim from the beginning has been to write novels that can be read by all kinds of people.”​
I collect many things, and the work of Kenneth Millar/Ross Macdonald is among them. Within that collection, I collect both lowbrow and highbrow items by a writer who worked in a genre considered populist and low brow and elevated it to what could be considered literature; I collect his lowly paperbacks with illustrated covers, but also his handwritten manuscripts and letters.

Some of you may have read this link before (I’ve shared it in the past). Several years ago, I designed a Ross Macdonald coffee table book that had text made from interviews my late friend, Paul Nelson (of Bob Dylan and New York Dolls fame) did with Ross Macdonald the Spring and Summer of 1976; the book featured over 1,300 items from my personal Ross Macdonald collection. Here’s an interview I did with the Library of America shortly after the book’s release:

There are many combinations of lowbrow and highbrow (to varying degrees) within my interests. I collect toys, but often strive for ones in their original packaging; I collect LPs by popular musicians, but this includes rare test pressings and acetates; I collect comic books, but also original art; I love a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon in the summer, but usually prefer craft beer by microbreweries; I’m able to enjoy a humble table wine, but love Vintage Port and Madeira. I love White Castle hamburgers, but a wine paired meal at Le Bernardin is much appreciated and savoured. I’m at home watching cheesy action movies, but happy to discuss symbolism and allusions in a Fellini film for hours. I love Jidaigeki Samurai and Yakuza movies, but also collect the original Japanese theatrical movie posters for them.

I grew up with Big Daddy Roth Hot Rod stickers and Art Spiegelman’s cardboard Wacky Packages for Topps from 1967. Lowbrow is in my DNA, and highbrow grew from within that.
Wow! I actually didn't even know of Ross Macdonald til you had mentioned him. I just picked up one of the Library of America editions of his early novels. Always another writer or whatever to learn about. Thanks for mentioning him!

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I like cobs, cheap briars, and bargain bin tobacco like Smoker's Pride, which many pipe smokers might frown at. I'd rather drive an old Corolla than a brand new Cadillac. In general, I like getting bang for my buck with cheap stuff that works well. Quality doesn't have to be expensive, and most of the expense of many luxury items comes from branding, marketing, and fancy packaging. I don't have time for being flashy or trying to impress anyone with status symbols, even if I'm able to afford them.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I always thought lowbrow vs. highbrow had to do with the intellect, but I'll play. I drive a Chevy Impala; I used to sell Rolls-Royce motorcars (the official plural). Lots of 'em. I prefer the Chevy for daily use.
Same, only swap out Toyota and Porsche as appropriate. A Panamera GTS is an excellent machine in nearly all aspects, but my Tundra hauls lumber a lot better.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
There are always suckers waiting to be fleeced. One of my favorite experiences with this happened when I went to a local Whole Foods to do a little shopping. At the butcher counter they were promoting something called "smart chicken". They were priced at about a buck more per pound than the supposedly stupid chickens.

Intrigued, I asked the counterman what made these chickens smart.

"Well," the counterman replied, "They're raised in a special oxygen enriched environment".

We stood, gazing at each other across the counter. I asked the counterman, "How smart could a headless chicken lying in a refrigerated case be?"

At that the counterman lost it and broke up laughing. When he recovered enough to speak he asked me if I wanted a smart chicken.

"Nah, I'll take the stupid chicken", I replied.

But, those "smart" chickens flew out of the case to trendy, well heeled, credulous customers.
How much of a discount were the stupid crippled chickens?

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I always thought lowbrow vs. highbrow had to do with the intellect, but I'll play. I drive a Chevy Impala; I used to sell Rolls-Royce motorcars (the official plural). Lots of 'em. I prefer the Chevy for daily use.
It's more aligned with personal tastes. Decades back, when I was a budding fine artist, a painting of mine sold to a wealthy Texas real estate developer. I got a call from his assistant that he and the missus were visiting L.A. and he wanted to see me and take me out to lunch.
We met up in Santa Monica, where he was staying. Lunch consisted of hot dogs from a cart by the beach, and all he did, besides say very kind things about my work, was bitch about the price of everything. As we munched on the hot dogs he said to me, "Nothing in God's green earth is better than a hot dog. Only idiots eat at those fancy restaurants!"

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Wow! I actually didn't even know of Ross Macdonald til you had mentioned him. I just picked up one of the Library of America editions of his early novels. Always another writer or whatever to learn about. Thanks for mentioning him!
I found him a long, long ago before the advent of Google, lol, by looking to see if “The Drowning Pool” was a book in print and started reading his Archer novels at that time.

If you haven’t also read any John D. MacDonald - some good ones by him as well, more knight errant than private eye.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Same.

Lots of that been going on in this thread and the forum over the past few years.
Interesting - don’t see “lots” of it in this thread nor would identify any participants as such and though limited to 4 years or so, this is about the least snobbish forum around, IMO —always an outlier or two I guess, but I read maybe only 10% of any threads at most at any given time, so if there is lots of snobbery I’m happily missing out on it!

Reactions: serpentx and FLDRD

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
A good example of something low brow becoming high brow is video games. Some of them very valuable, one Mario game from the 80s going for as much as a million squid.
That was the first ever Super Mario Bros cart produced, in a sealed box in absolute mint condition so the price can be anything, there's bound to be some rich 40-something who played this as a kid like I did who just has to have it.

But check this out, this is from a retro gaming shop in Basel (Switzerland) I visited yesterday by chance, the prices are in Swiss Franks, so the SMB 3 costs $500 and the Zelda costs $840. I have both of these games in some box, somewhere in my mother's basement in Greece.

1708263397401.png

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
But check this out, this is from a retro gaming shop in Basel (Switzerland) I visited yesterday by chance, the prices are in Swiss Franks, so the SMB 3 costs $500 and the Zelda costs $840. I have both of these games in some box, somewhere in my mother's basement in Greece.
Oh wow. So you're sitting on a nice bit of bread there, fair play to you, nice job. See, I never really played Nintendo. I was more Sega. Even then I didn't keep any of the games. It was always play them, then trade them in or lend them out. Nintendo games seem to be where the coin is though.

Reactions: karam
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
That was the first ever Super Mario Bros cart produced, in a sealed box in absolute mint condition so the price can be anything, there's bound to be some rich 40-something who played this as a kid like I did who just has to have it.

View attachment 289447

I used to love playing my Nintendo Game & Watch when I was in high school. It was a simple LCD screen, but so entertaining! People would jump out of a burning building and your two firemen with a net had to bounce the jumpers offscreen to safety. It would get so stressful juggling multiple jumpers back and forth, but was so much fun. It’s in a box somewhere and I hope it still works.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Oh wow. So you're sitting on a nice bit of bread there, fair play to you, nice job. See, I never really played Nintendo. I was more Sega. Even then I didn't keep any of the games. It was always play them, then trade them in or lend them out. Nintendo games seem to be where the coin is though.
Oh well, I doubt I have the boxes for them, but yeah I intend to look at what I have and whether someone would be willing to buy them. They probably still work too, even 30 years later, these old games were well made.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I found him a long, long ago before the advent of Google, lol, by looking to see if “The Drowning Pool” was a book in print and started reading his Archer novels at that time.

If you haven’t also read any John D. MacDonald - some good ones by him as well, more knight errant than private eye.
The one I really like is one from Italy - the Inspector Montalbano series from Andrea Camilleri - who was inspired by a Spanish detective. Really good stories that build a universe of characters and places around the them. I also really like the Simeon stuff that I read in French - just great stuff. Always something else to discover!