PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
Yesterday I had to put my beloved goat Thor down yesterday. We've been fighting for a week to help him recover but he got too down. He had a massive load of worms and he became anemic really fast. These parasites can lay dormant for a season or two and then hatch all at once when the weather changes. He was my first goat and one I had to bottle feed. The vet said this is common in goats with the dormant worms. I mourned but today I'm happy for all he has given me.

IMG_20211127_123051.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Yesterday I had to put my beloved goat Thor down yesterday. We've been fighting for a week to help him recover but he got too down. He had a massive load of worms and he became anemic really fast. These parasites can lay dormant for a season or two and then hatch all at once when the weather changes. He was my first goat and one I had to bottle feed. The vet said this is common in goats with the dormant worms. I mourned but today I'm happy for all he has given me.

View attachment 163548
I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our goat a couple of years ago, and we lost our Manx cat yesterday. He was 15, and just had a stroke.

It is amazing how close we get to these animals.
Sorry for your losses.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My condolences on your loss. Our non-human animal companions are our bridge to the wider universe, not incidental amusements. In evolution, they are our great grandparents and teach us much. I had a beloved dog in childhood and have long kept a succession of cats, that I think of as a royal line, that have supervised and communed with me. None has ever replaced the previous cats, but each has opened an entirely new view of the world. Once when I was approaching a lunch restaurant, a goat kid clip-clopped up to me from an adjoining farm and I unhesitatingly hoisted it my arms while it "ate" my necktie. I was most pleased. So Thor is with you, and will send other goats. They know you. You come well recommended.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, I’m sorry to hear of your loss. Loss is never easy.
I have a black lab (obviously) that I expect will have to put down soon, it breaks my heart just thinking about it. I almost lost her when she was 2 years old, she got attacked by a pack of pit bulls, I’ve got nothing against pits but when I see a stray one, I still get the flight or fight response. My dogs collar saved her life, they were trying to rip her throat out, I fought them off (eventually), I threw down my pipe and went in… they fucked me up good too, crushed some bones while biting my arms and hands… bad memories. Anyways she’s 16 years old, way passed her life expectancy (for a lab) and I’ll miss her dearly when she goes, we’ve been through a whole lot together, she a good friend.

Didn’t mean for this to be long, my apologies, this just got me reflecting on the past.

My heart goes out to you, friend.