PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
Pretty cool website. Smoking lounge memberships (great photos) only(!) $1000 annually. I’m buying a $50 Iwan Ries ashtray and some tobacco as a gesture to this classic brick & mortar in Chicago.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They have a phenomenal inventory of about 15,000 pipes, so if there is anything you are looking for they may have it. Also, their house pipes are well above their price point in quality. Currently they are sourced from Genod, which is the source of their first house pipes. Many years ago I got several of their Bentons by Edwards made of Algerian oil-cured briar, and they still look great and smoke great. It's good to have a pipe stamped Iwan Ries. Their Three Star Blue and other blends have appeal depending on your tastes. It is the oldest and by some measures the largest pipe store in the U.S.

The Nat Sherman store on 42nd Street in Manhattan was not nearly as old, but was a contender for size and prestige for some years, but alas, the pandemic closed it down.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I spent the first 31 years of my life in Chicago. I used to take regular trips to IRC and bought many pipes and tobaccos there. In fact the last office I worked in there was three blocks away. Way too convenient and my wallet reflected that.