PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What has been the only true suspect in the 1982 Tylenol murders, since an initial false accusation of another man in 1982, James William Lewis, died today of natural causes at age 76.

My entire life I've followed current events, including famous crime cases, and if you have the time and inclination to read a long story in the Chicago Tribune about the Tylenol murders and Jim Lewis, load up several pipes and read this:

Jim Lewis was never convicted of a 1978 Kansas City dismemberment murder case because of incredible luck and bungling by investigators. One of my law school professors was working on the Tylenol case in 1982 and he gave us details of the mistakes made by the police that even then, seemed incredible, but true.

Then John Lewis ran a credit card fraud scheme, which was part of a plea deal he made in two cases where he wrote extortion letters to Johnson and Johnson regarding Tylenol. and to President Ronald Reagan, about releasing cyanide capsules over the United States, both letters written in the name of his wife's employer, who he believed cheated her of wages when the employer's company went bankrupt. He served 13 years in federal prison and was released in 1995.

In the early 2000's, he escaped a rape charge when the victim didn't testify.

Why Lewis was never prosecuted for the 1982 Chicago murders was, he and his wife had without any doubt, moved from Chicago to Massachusetts three weeks before the murders, and in fact it was at a new job there his wife lost her last paycheck when the company went bankrupt.

Lewis was a bum who lived off his wife's earnings, but her drove her to work, and picked her up every day.

For over forty years, the police tried to find evidence of how he could be in Massachusetts and Chicago on the days the capsules were tampered with, and never could.

Was he incredibly lucky, or incredibly smart, or was it an off the charts coincidence?

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
What has been the only true suspect in the 1982 Tylenol murders, since an initial false accusation of another man in 1982, James William Lewis, died today of natural causes at age 76.

My entire life I've followed current events, including famous crime cases, and if you have the time and inclination to read a long story in the Chicago Tribune about the Tylenol murders and Jim Lewis, load up several pipes and read this:

Jim Lewis was never convicted of a 1978 Kansas City dismemberment murder case because of incredible luck and bungling by investigators. One of my law school professors was working on the Tylenol case in 1982 and he gave us details of the mistakes made by the police that even then, seemed incredible, but true.

Then John Lewis ran a credit card fraud scheme, which was part of a plea deal he made in two cases where he wrote extortion letters to Johnson and Johnson regarding Tylenol. and to President Ronald Reagan, about releasing cyanide capsules over the United States, both letters written in the name of his wife's employer, who he believed cheated her of wages when the employer's company went bankrupt. He served 13 years in federal prison and was released in 1995.

In the early 2000's, he escaped a rape charge when the victim didn't testify.

Why Lewis was never prosecuted for the 1982 Chicago murders was, he and his wife had without any doubt, moved from Chicago to Massachusetts three weeks before the murders, and in fact it was at a new job there his wife lost her last paycheck when the company went bankrupt.

Lewis was a bum who lived off his wife's earnings, but her drove her to work, and picked her up every day.

For over forty years, the police tried to find evidence of how he could be in Massachusetts and Chicago on the days the capsules were tampered with, and never could.

Was he incredibly lucky, or incredibly smart, or was it an off the charts coincidence?
There is a theory that he worked with Ted Kaczynski to poison the Tylenol but it’s just a theory.
I remember my parents throwing out our Tylenol when this all happened and our local pharmacy pulling all the full Tylenol from the shelves.

Reactions: RobNYC

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There is a theory that he worked with Ted Kaczynski to poison the Tylenol but it’s just a theory.
I remember my parents throwing out our Tylenol when this all happened and our local pharmacy pulling all the full Tylenol from the shelves.

Another back story is Johnson and Johnson wrote the book on how to restore confidence in a brand.

But for crime buffs, the depravity and the sheer luck, of Jim Lewis is amazing. This guy, had manufactured pill presses, of all things. His letter to Reagan (in his employer's name) threatened to release cyanide capsules. The amount of materials the police found when they raided his home on how to commit crimes was staggering.

But Johnson and Johnson, in their investigation, found the poisoned pills were made at different factories. Some person, had to walk into the grocery stores, and place the pills on the rack. Even then grocery stores had security tapes and not a trace of evidence of who placed the pills in the racks was ever found.

But it was utterly impossible, for Lewis to have done the poisonings before he left Chicago. I forget now exactly why, but it had to do with cyanide degrading the gelatin capsules, and the manufacturing dates on the bottles.

In Chicago, Lewis was a bum, he didn't work, he was a fugitive from Missouri, and he suddenly in early September, after he'd paid the rent, moved to Massachusetts. How could he have induced a confederate to stay behind and do the poisonings?

There never was any idea his long suffering and stupid wife helped him. She just paid his bills.

I can remember the police researching every single flight from anyplace close to where he lived in Massachusetts to any place close to Chicago, and coming up dry.

His defense for forty years was, my wife got cheated, I read about the poisonings, and I mailed the letters to get back at her employer. The distance was his unshakeable alibi. And, they never traced any cyanide to him.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like the likely suspect turned out not to be the perpetrator, and by the time he was throughly investigated, the real perp had covered his or her tracks.

Some people are so perfectly type cast to the crime, it is almost impossible to imagine they didn't do it, even once their alibi checks out entirely.

Usually, people sick enough to do one such crime end up doing another and getting caught, or are so fond of risk they end their lives early in some other dastardly deed. But I guess a few like Pol Pot die in their beds at advanced age and are never detected.

I worked with a communications pro who worked for the FDA tracking those crimes and keeping the public informed. It was an interesting yarn.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm not saying they were right or had any good reason to do what they did. But, I can understand Spanish Inquisition when it comes to certain dirt bags.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I am still waiting for them to find the Zodiac Killer.

If there is one Zodiac (there is debate) he'd be in his eighties or nineties now, if alive.

I've followed the Zodiac case too, and it's astounding just how many good suspects there have been.

Among my favorite murder mysteries is the tale of the Bloody Benders of Kansas. They were never caught.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
If there is one Zodiac (there is debate) he'd be in his eighties or nineties now, if alive.

I've followed the Zodiac case too, and it's astounding just how many good suspects there have been.

Among my favorite murder mysteries is the tale of the Bloody Benders of Kansas. They were never caught.

We've discussed this before, but I am convinced that there is a real evil that exists. Encounters with this force generally don't go well for the encounteree. It thrives in places where people are desperate, lonely, and disconnected from real goodness. Whether the suburbs, cities, or the mountain hideaway, evil can and will find a home whenever the mind of a person becomes lost and drawn to its own delusions. This evil can look like mental illness, but it is well beyond anything a doctor can diagnose.

Reactions: Brendan and Kobold

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Things like this are becoming harder for criminals to pull off. Look at the Idaho murders. There’s cameras, tracking and other digital trails that stand out by the presence or absence.

Today, the number of times you appear on security cameras each day is hard to count. And, your cell phone tracks you, your car tracks you, and just a minute trace of your DNA can betray you.

The Idaho murderer had a degree in criminology and made multiple mistakes that will place him where he belongs, in front of firing squad.

Reactions: OverMountain

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I remember this. And now every package has nearly impossible shrink bands, seals and all manner of safety I can't open without a jackknife. Just like the terrorists gave us TSA's version of checkpoint charlie. The hackers breaking every system so I need 72 different arcane passwords and I have to prove daily I'm not a robot. Still can't tell if thats a hill or a mountain. These criminals just make life more difficult everyday. Wish it was like the show 1883 when that guy stole the wallet and the owner of the wallet shot him dead on the spot. No questions asked. Maybe that's extreme but folks were a lot nicer back then it seems as though to me.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Today, the number of times you appear on security cameras each day is hard to count. And, your cell phone tracks you, your car tracks you, and just a minute trace of your DNA can betray you.

The Idaho murderer had a degree in criminology and made multiple mistakes that will place him where he belongs, in front of firing squad.
I look forward to the trial. The wheels of justice grind slowly, but finely.