PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Awesome stuff, that pic of the cigar foot face on looks pretty impressive.
The 'ingredient' list sounds like an awesome cigar in the making.
Firm ash as well, would love to have a bunch sitting in the humidor, forgotten about for some years down the track.
Great stuff, pic heavy is always a bonus.
Makes you wonder how the hell alot of Cubans are still too tight or plugged.

I wonder as well, maybe you are the first and only Azerbaijan Torcedor to date?
Good draw and firm ash is the result of entubado bunching.
I guess the answer to your question is "quality control". Rollers are not paid well, have to roll probably 200 cigars a day, so they just don't care about the draw. For me the first cigar took around 30 minutes or so to roll, the second one took 15 minutes I think. I wonder how many cigars Cuban torcedors can roll in 15 minutes.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Good draw and firm ash is the result of entubado bunching.
I guess the answer to your question is "quality control". Rollers are not paid well, have to roll probably 200 cigars a day, so they just don't care about the draw. For me the first cigar took around 30 minutes or so to roll, second took 15 minutes I think. I wonder how many cigars Cuban torcedors can roll in 15 minutes.
Ha, yes fair point in regards to timeframe etc, still good to see somebody able to have a go at home and have good results from their first try.I would love to do this myself but there is no way I'd imagine I'd be able to in Australia.
Seems like common sense when you state the facts about rollers work conditions, and work load, plus the huge demand for Cuban cigars etc.
Also, I was going to ask about cigar moulds etc, would that be something you would look into if you decide to roll more in the future?

Reactions: seanv and jvnshr

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Ha, yes fair point in regards to timeframe etc, still good to see somebody able to have a go at home and have good results from their first try.I would love to do this myself but there is no way I'd imagine I'd be able to in Australia.
Seems like common sense when you state the facts about rollers work conditions, and work load, plus the huge demand for Cuban cigars etc.
Also, I was going to ask about cigar moulds etc, would that be something you would look into if you decide to roll more in the future?
I think there are some people who grow their own tobacco in Australia, is there any possibility to buy from them?
I will definitely get a mold in the future. For now, I am cutting a strip from A4 paper and wrapping it around the bunch.

Reactions: seanv and Brendan

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Looks great!

Given I’m clueless on cigar leaf I’d wonder how a cigar rolled from pipe leaf would be, like a VaPerKy cigar
The tobacco we call pipe leaf, is just a tobacco leaf from farmers' point of view. Michael tells it all the time. You may take a cigar leaf and make Cavendish from it for example. I renamed the thread, will be experimenting and updating regularly.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Bobalu out of Texas has some good info and they even pimp out their rollers for different events. I really like how rustic this is. Something Eastwood would smoke in his movies.
I am also member of another forum where members grow their own tobacco, roll cigarettes and cigars, prepare pipe tobacco blends, etc. Another good source is Bliss cigar on Youtube, he has great videos and amazing skills.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I attended a fundraising type of event for a local veterans group last year and there was an old Cuban guy rolling cigars for a few bucks donation. He did it so effortlessly and the cigars he turned out were beautiful. I bought a few just to say I did. The tobacco, I suspect, wasn’t the best quality. The physical rolling of the cigar itself was perfect. I often think about sourcing some good cigar leaf and paying him to roll a few dozen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You've picked up the art in a hurry; you must have a talent for it. I can see the leaves breaking, cracking, and bundling, and ending up with no draw at all. Your cigars look like the premium product, apparently on the first few tries. Wow. A good fictional account of professional cigar rolling appears in James Weldon Johnson's "Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man," which is not JWJ's autobiography, but a novel. However it is clear that the author had experience in a commercial cigar rolling operation. Among other things, he described how the factory let one of the cigar rollers read to the group to break the monotony. His dates were 1871-1938, so this was probably how it was done in the 1920's or thereabouts.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Splendid work and illustrations thereof! Almost makes me wish I really liked cigars!

Really easy, rolling a fine smoker. I've seen it done. Probably one every 4-5 minutes. But, then, maybe the fact the torcedor has done many thousands in his or her lifetime might make a wee difference! ?