Jim or Anyone KBV Anne Cap Like Cavendish?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hello Jim, or anyone else…

When I first got a bag of KBV Anne Cap, I thought this is really heavy/forward Cavendish, in smell and taste, and ever since, I’ve been trying to find blends on the strong side of Cavendish.

Here’s tobaccoreviews on Anne Cap;

I‘ve always assumed, when it’s suppose to be a Cavendish forward blend, that the flavor then should be very noticeable.

However, I’ve noticed blends that have Cavendish where it’s barely noticed, and that seems to be how it’s working out for me, I can’t seem to find anything heavy on the Cavendish side.

Does anyone know any VA or Burley blends that are heavy Cavendish forward blends, smell and taste, through out an entire bowl?

Thanks

P.S. I don’t want Aromatics…

Last edited:

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I’ve never had the blend you mentioned. But the blend that best showcases Black Cavendish for me is Mac Baren’s Black Ambrosia. It puts Mac Baren’s signature Black Cavendish on full display. Full bodied taste in an Aromatic

Reactions: Leomania

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve never had the blend you mentioned. But the blend that best showcases Black Cavendish for me is Mac Baren’s Black Ambrosia. It puts Mac Baren’s signature Black Cavendish on full display. Full bodied taste in an Aromatic

I forgot to mention, and I edited the post over, I don’t want Aromatics.

Thanks

Reactions: Piping Abe

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
@JimInks

He's probably sleeping now, but will respond when able!
I'm sleeping while I type this. nnnn

It's a big ask and very small list if our man doesn't want an aro. BC is almost always used as a flavor carrier even in English blends. He could try G&H Brown Cavendish although it's not like the BC he wants.

@CoffeeAndBourbon gave the best answer.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I always thought Cavendish is like what made pipe tobacco it’s style, at least I thought so when I first began.

Maybe a lot of these thoughts were also Aromatic Inclined too when I first began, like Captain Black.

Then as time went on, and I saw a lot of blends out there using Cavendish, I certainly thought there must be something along these lines.

Like as if C&D Pegasus had more Cavendish in it. I don’t see that more Cavendish in Pegasus would turn it into a bad thing, it seems perfectly suited to it.

hmm 🤔

P.S. it seems weird to me it would be a big ask, as I always assumed Cavendish played a big role in the world of pipes, with Cavendish Forward Blends at the forefront as you see in Aros. I assumed Cavendish would be quite common in non Aro blends too.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I always thought Cavendish is like what made pipe tobacco it’s style, at least I thought so when I first began.

Maybe a lot of these thoughts were also Aromatic Inclined too when I first began, like Captain Black.

Then as time went on, and I saw a lot of blends out there using Cavendish, I certainly thought there must be something along these lines.

Like as if C&D Pegasus had more Cavendish in it. I don’t see that more Cavendish in Pegasus would turn it into a bad thing, it seems perfectly suited to it.

hmm 🤔
Cavendish refers to the way tobacco is cut. I'm sure you've seen reviews and blend descriptions that mention, e.g., "Virginia cavendish". The cut is what they are discussing. In America, black cavendish generally is burley hot steamed, pressed and cut. That creates a very satisfactory avenue for toppings. Overseas, tobacco manufacturers often use a Virginia for such treatment.

Try G&H Brown Cavendish and see what you think. Burley is the varietal they use in that. It's good on its own, and makes a good mixer.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Cavendish refers to the way tobacco is cut. I'm sure you've seen reviews and blend descriptions that mention, e.g., "Virginia cavendish". The cut is what they are discussing. In America, black cavendish generally is burley hot steamed, pressed and cut. That creates a very satisfactory avenue for toppings. Overseas, tobacco manufacturers mostly use a Virginia for such treatment.

Try G&H Brown Cavendish and see what you think.

My bad for not explaining myself on the Cavendish, I’m aware of the different types.

I was thinking more of Black Cavendish, but then I thought there could be VA done black too.

Thanks Jim! 👍

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Isn’t unflavored cavendish mainly used to slow down a burn or add some body? I don’t really think of a very pronounced tobacco flavor when I think of cavendish.

It’s too bad you are so dead set against any flavoring. Something like Warped Saint Espresso is a great example of 3 different types of tobacco with a complimentary flavoring.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Isn’t unflavored cavendish mainly used to slow down a burn or add some body? I don’t really think of a very pronounced tobacco flavor when I think of cavendish.

It’s too bad you are so dead set against any flavoring. Something like Warped Saint Espresso is a great example of 3 different types of tobacco with a complimentary flavoring.

I don’t recall saying I was dead set against any flavors… LOL 😆

I just mentioned Aromatics is all. Anne Cap was actually something of an Aro, but it was subtle, so if it’s an extremely subtle Aro I don’t mind.

Saint Espresso seems quite nice, but it was sold out before when I was looking. So you mailing me a tin? LOL 😝

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Black Ambrosia is still my suggestion 😉

If you look at Ambrosia, it does have unsweetened black cavendish in it.

Unsweetened Black Cavendish is what I’m after, but in Straight Blends, not Aros.

Unsweetened Black Cavendish, as you may, or may not be aware of, is in a lot of straight VA and Burley blends.

I’d like to find something if it exists like Germain’s Uncle Tom’s, Royal Jersey Cavendish and Virginia, but more Cavendish forward is all.

Reactions: Piping Abe

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Give Cornell & Diehl Winchester a try. It's about half red Virginia and half unsweetened canvendished burley, which makes for a quite pleasant and mellow dark earthy smoke.

Reactions: Steddy