PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yah 89 and those years were not these years, then again i think the first female i saw at Benning that wasn't a nurse at the processing battalion was a female ammo truck driver and she was the biggest dude i saw the entire time there, not fat and out of shape like today's military or an actual dude, she was build like a female hulk. LOL
There were zero ladies in my brothers Ranger battalion! (early 1990's)

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That man really hit the mother lode, both musically but in multiple business ventures. HIs beach bum persona was belied by his vast wealth said to be about a billion dollars. People are always told to do what they love in life as a career, which often results in them falling back on jobs they are good at but do not love. Whereas Jimmy hit the sweet spot.

He had the brilliance and luck to do music that perfectly mirrored what people want to hear as they escape to the beach. He taught them to be carefree if for only a week or two, or an hour or two. No one who occasionally drinks too much failed to notice and appreciate this. He was our Bacchus, Greek god of wine.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
“Some people claim that there's a woman to blame.”
She was his friend who took him to the Chinese restaurant in Austin where he had his first margarita.
She lived in Northwest Hills.
People continually set shakers of salt at the curb.
I dropped one off this morning.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Call it what you will, I personally find it odd. 🤔

Maui Lahaina, maybe for many of you that don’t know, had a Cheeseburger In Paradise restaurant in Lahaina, now burned down, and then only a few weeks later Buffet dies... 😲

84263427-30EF-4EC7-AC09-1D385E685C68.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Sad to hear of Jimmy’s passing, but I won’t miss his music. When I lived in FL and worked in the service industry I heard Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise on a continuous loop. It’ll be to soon if I ever hear em again.

Reactions: renfield

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Only one top 10 in 51 years of recording but a legion of devoted fans.

He did have 4 books hit number 1 on the New York Times best seller list (an autobiography and 3 novels).

He did what he loved, how he wanted to, for a very long time. Kudos.

R.I.P.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Bob Leftsetz had a great tribute article on Jimmy this AM. He referenced the A1A album, which I had not heard. I might have to check out it, this song is pretty good!

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Only one top 10 in 51 years of recording but a legion of devoted fans.

He did have 4 books hit number 1 on the New York Times best seller list (an autobiography and 3 novels).

He did what he loved, how he wanted to, for a very long time. Kudos.

R.I.P.
I think he was one of only 4 or 5 authors to be #1 on the NYT bestseller's list for both fiction and non-fiction. If I recall correctly, the others had names like Hemingway and Steinbeck. Subject to correction.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
If only he had found his lost shaker of sun tan lotion.

"Buffet suffered from Merkel cell cancer, which he was diagnosed with four years before his death, his website said…”

“Merkel cell cancer is very rare, according to the National Cancer Institute. Risk factors include sun exposure, having a weak immune system and being older than 50. It tends to grow quickly and spread at an early stage to nearby lymph nodes and then to lymph nodes or skin in other parts of the body, including the lungs, brain, bones and other organs"

We’ll miss him.

Reactions: Elric

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Surfer Kelly Slater who Jimmy was a surrogate father to, had a very nice post talking about Jimmy and wound it up with "i can picture him with a joint in one hand and a drink in the other" lol classic Jimmy!

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
If only he had found his lost shaker of sun tan lotion.

"Buffet suffered from Merkel cell cancer, which he was diagnosed with four years before his death, his website said…”

“Merkel cell cancer is very rare, according to the National Cancer Institute. Risk factors include sun exposure, having a weak immune system and being older than 50. It tends to grow quickly and spread at an early stage to nearby lymph nodes and then to lymph nodes or skin in other parts of the body, including the lungs, brain, bones and other organs"

We’ll miss him.
The sun killed Jimmy. The friggin irony.

CNN article "As with other skin cancers, wearing sunscreen with an SPF of 60 or greater is recommended to prevent the development of Merkel cell carcinoma, according to Cleveland Clinic."

60???? 30 is like wearing paste. They say cover all skin with fabric. In hot weather??? The only way to avoid heat stroke is to dress like a Saudi I suppose.

Then what about vitamin D? You can't get D from sun except on skin not covered with sunscreen.

It's like I got fins to left and fins to the right. Forget it. I'm just waiting until the volcano blows.

Until then I'm livin' life until I have to punch out.

Reactions: Elric