PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I’m on the fence about this. The tequila note sounds interesting but edelflower is cloying to me. But if it’s not uber- prominent it’d probably be to my liking. If it tastes like it’s been topped with St. Germain I’m gonna have buyers‘ remorse.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m on the fence about this. The tequila note sounds interesting but edelflower is cloying to me. But if it’s not uber- prominent it’d probably be to my liking. If it tastes like it’s been topped with St. Germain I’m gonna have buyers‘ remorse.

Have you smoked any of the Sun Bear? I’m not sure why any pipe smoker would not enjoy them. All the notes are subtle, not overpowering.

So if this one sticks to it’s roots, it should also be nice.

Did you read the article? Sun Bear is also C&D’s Flagship small batch blend now.

“Sun Bear has been popular, says Jeremy, perhaps even more so than Carolina Red Flake. "Carolina Red Flake was for a very long time our flagship Small Batch. It remains very, very popular for us, but I think that Sun Bear carries an even broader appeal. I think that it is actually fair to say that Sun Bear rather than Carolina Red Flake is truly our flagship Small Batch now."

I have all 3, and they’re all really nice. :)

0180DD38-10F1-4405-9F0E-C066388A7143.jpeg

Reactions: Nevaditude

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Have you smoked any of the Sun Bear? I’m not sure why any pipe smoker would not enjoy them. All the notes are subtle, not overpowering.

So if this one sticks to it’s roots, it should also be nice.

Did you read the article? Sun Bear is also C&D’s Flagship small batch blend now.

“Sun Bear has been popular, says Jeremy, perhaps even more so than Carolina Red Flake. "Carolina Red Flake was for a very long time our flagship Small Batch. It remains very, very popular for us, but I think that Sun Bear carries an even broader appeal. I think that it is actually fair to say that Sun Bear rather than Carolina Red Flake is truly our flagship Small Batch now."

I have all 3, and they’re all really nice. :)

View attachment 235597
No never had any. I was always aware of their existence but for whatever reason never felt compelled to purchase any of them. I know they are popular on here. I was probably exploring some different blends types at the time.

Reactions: FLDRD

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
No never had any. I was always aware of their existence but for whatever reason never felt compelled to purchase any of them. I know they are popular on here. I was probably exploring some different blends types at the time.

What do you like to smoke?

All the Sun Bears flavors are mild, with light sweetness. The original blend seems to be the lightest, and Mountain Flower and Black Locust have a little more depth/complexity.

But none of them are heavy blends, all mild, but nice complexity and flavors.

Reactions: ClenchedBilliard

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Hmm Iwan Ries has shown this listed for sale since last week. 🤔

Oh, I was hoping just brief summary/idea the difference between this and the other Sun Bear? 🤔

Like sweeter, not as sweet, just something basic to understand?

So how does it compare to the other three?
I went ahead and ordered a few from them.

Reactions: PipeIT

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
What do you like to smoke?

All the Sun Bears flavors are mild, with light sweetness. The original blend seems to be the lightest, and Mountain Flower and Black Locust have a little more depth/complexity.

But none of them are heavy blends, all mild, but nice complexity and flavors.
A bit of an omnivore. I recall kind of wanting black locust at some point but by then it was unavailable. I generally like C&D I’m just not always in a shopping mood when a new blend comes out.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
The first version had a cloying sweetness that detracted from the varietals, for my tastes. I enjoy subtle flavors. I smoked 2 tins over a two year period so I gave it a chance… I really wanted to like it. I’d say that it’s worth a shot because I think I have an unusually sensitive palate. I also experienced a sort of clashing of flavors, which I attributed to the tequila, as I’m not a drinker and don’t really enjoy alcohol.

Reactions: Egg Shen

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Ok, that was confusing as hell! LOL 😆

Anyone know any Omnivore Blends? hmm 🤔

Oh wait this one should do! LOL ;)

View attachment 235617

View attachment 235618
I meant that there is no particular style that i exclude on principle. I like aromatic blends, orientals, balkans, codger cheap stuff, limited stuff, Virginia, cavendish and stoved, Perique, burleys, and many combinations thereof.

There are kitchen sink blends that seem to include almost everything, but I did not mean that those are my focus.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Thanks for your thoughts, Jim. I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Florida, so I'm very familiar with Tupelo honey. I'll have to buy some cans of this one.

Reactions: JimInks

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
The SPC Newsletter with the article on the release, C&D said Sun Bear is now their Flagship release, CRF use to be the Flagship. :)
This year they are supposed to do one last release of CRF with the previous batch before it runs out, correct? Then I assume they will have to find new leaf for the next batch.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
This year they are supposed to do one last release of CRF with the previous batch before it runs out, correct? Then I assume they will have to find new leaf for the next batch.
Jeremy Reeves actually said in this CRF 2022 video that the 2022 release used up the last of that Virginia stock they had:

Last edited:

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
Last year's Sun Bear was a very nice blend, I still have a couple of tins of it left. This year's Sun Bear is the same blend with a different honey varietal, tempted to go ahead and grab a couple before they disappear.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m still smoking through my tins of the original release, so this comment only applies to that. The elderflower essence is consistently noticeable, but not heavy. To me it can be almost grape like, and can sometimes outweigh the honey. While I like it just fine, I kinda wish they made a version without the elderflower and tequila

Reactions: Chalaw87

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
It’s
I’m still smoking through my tins of the original release, so this comment only applies to that. The elderflower essence is consistently noticeable, but not heavy. To me it can be almost grape like, and can sometimes outweigh the honey. While I like it just fine, I kinda wish they made a version without the elderflower and tequila
It’s ok I decided to sit this one out. I was going to add 1 to an order at country squire because they had a cherry limeade aromatic that I wanted. Happened to get on there at 6 sharp but I couldn’t add it to my cart. Oh well. I knew I could probably find it elsewhere but that cherry limeade was the main draw and a blend that’s only available on TCS. I guess it’s not in the cards.

Reactions: aquadoc

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Thank you, Jim. I have had to step away from the forums and pipes off and on for almost 2 years for reasons that do not bear repeating. Your review is spot on and this is the first time in many a month that I have been able to enjoy my pipes and tobacco. I guess my unopened tins are that much closer to being "classics"... Lol. @JimInks

Reactions: JimInks