Jim's Low Country Atalaya Limited Edition 2023 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale Wednesday, Nov. 8.

The 31 Farms perique provides a wealth of spice, dried plums, figs, raisins, earth, wood, and some floralness as the lead component. The aged Izmir and sun cured Basma produce a wealth of earth, wood, herbs, vegetation, floralness, spice, dry, sharp sourness, some buttery sweetness, and moderate smokiness in full support roles. The bright, red and 2019 red cavendish Virginias offer a fair amount of tangy ripe dark fruit, tart and tangy citrus, earth, wood, grass, bread, sugar, some vegetation, floralness, sour lemon, mild spice, and a touch of vinegar. They are a couple of notches above the condiment line. The strength and nic-hit are fairly potent. The taste is full. The broken flakes are mildly moist, and I saw no need to dry them. Well balanced and deeply rich, it burns cool, clean and a little slow with mostly consistent fruity, spicy, floral, herbal, sour, mildly smoky, rather zesty, piquant flavor that extends to the pleasantly long lingering after taste. The room note is pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. It’s a little stronger, spicier, and a tad more sweet, sour and smokier than the previous production. Four stars out of four.

©Jim Amash 2023.

Last edited:

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
Wow, I wasn't expecting another batch so soon. I figured this may be an every-couple-years release. I remember quite enjoying last year's batch, though not "wowed" by it. Will have to revisit it in anticipation for this release.

Thanks Jim!

Reactions: PaulRVA and JimInks

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
Interesting this comes out as a Low Country blend and not C&D. I have two Low Country blends I haven't tried yet. They should be getting good..
Has for the past year now. They both fly under the same banner, and offer good stuff. Low Country has been a part of Smoking Pipes before C&D was acquired, so it is merely a sibling amongst the roost. I don't see any reason to liquidate LC into C&D. I think it's cool that LC is an opportunity for Jeremy to spread his wings without offering "too many" C&D Small Batches.

Reactions: dcon