PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Terrific! I will miss it by a few weeks, but always stop by there.

O/T: @warren Dukes is a favorite here, too, but I couldn't believe the room prices now! Over $1200!! I am staying at the Royal Horseguards hotel, without the horses or guards for considerably less. Hope this choice works out. Within spitting distance of the river.
$1200 a night??!! Yikes!! Do they at least throw in a couple of hookers in the deal?

Sure has changed since I stayed at the London Musical Club in Holland Park, where a room and 3 squares was about £10 a week.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
$1200 a night??!! Yikes!! Do they at least throw in a couple of hookers in the deal?

Sure has changed since I stayed at the London Musical Club in Holland Park, where a room and 3 squares was about £10 a week.
Our vacation rental house in a mews in Knightsbridge will be just over $400 with all the added tax/fees --- with the $800 I'm "saving" (no hookers included from what I can see in the list of features) do I somehow owe my wife $800 a night? Not sure I want to posit the hypothetical to her. ;)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I was, like, gag me with a spoon, ya know! I wonder what warren thinks, as he has often been a client there.

A grand location, excellent staff, and other pluses I require of a hotel. Some great evening walking routes. A very decent hostelry, in my opinion. Hell, they even provide a nice, quiet, outside area in which to smoke. It's "boutique" size, formerly a, not overly large, palace.

The Roundstone Hotel is perfect in its setting as is Dukes in St. James. It's certainly not inexpensive but, I thoroughly enjoy it and the amenities. I recommend it highly. If you choose your time, discounts are available. Usually in the "shoulder" seasons.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A grand location, excellent staff, and other pluses I require of a hotel. Some great evening walking routes. A very decent hostelry, in my opinion. Hell, they even provide a nice, quiet, outside area in which to smoke. It's "boutique" size, formerly a, not overly large, palace.

The Roundstone Hotel is perfect in its setting as is Dukes in St. James. It's certainly not inexpensive but, I thoroughly enjoy it and the amenities. I recommend it highly. If you choose your time, discounts are available. Usually in the "shoulder" seasons.
Roundstone in Ireland? Looks lovely.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I am still focused on London. llHave a cancellable reservation at Royal Horseguards, but a better hotel at a cheaper price would be welcome!
No idea about seasonal aspects but I looked hard at that hotel when we were researching (I think it's pretty cool) and the total cost at the same time we are going is similar to what we are paying for the rental home (and less than most other nice London hotels). For us, a little different location, access to laundry facilities in the house whenever we want, and more privacy has led us to rentals vs. hotels whenever we can make it work the past several years. Looks like a great place to stay - the rooms with the little balconies were catching my eye in particular.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I hope that J.J. Fox in London had more pipes and tobacco than their shop in Dublin. It was mostly liquor. Towards the rear of the shop, they had cigars, a few pipes, their own pipe tobacco blends, and a few odd other pipe tobaccos. Pretty small shop overall, actually. I ended up buying a plug of Condor and a J.J. Fox-engraved wee Glencairn whisky glass, which is much smaller than the normal Glencairn.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I hope that J.J. Fox in London had more pipes and tobacco than their shop in Dublin. It was mostly liquor. Towards the rear of the shop, they had cigars, a few pipes, their own pipe tobacco blends, and a few odd other pipe tobaccos. Pretty small shop overall, actually. I ended up buying a plug of Condor and a J.J. Fox-engraved wee Glencairn whisky glass, which is much smaller than the normal Glencairn.
We were in and out of the Dublin JJ Fox in about two minutes - the focus was overwhelmingly spirits and pipes weren’t a priority based on what little was to be found. Had two great visits to the Peterson shop. Looking forward to Jj Fox in London.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
As a Londoner born to Irish parents, I can say I am not surprised the Dublin store has a heavier emphasis on drink. Not to promote stereotypes or anything lol

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
And, the Peterson shop is only a few steps away.
I ended up in J.J. Fox because I arrived on Peterson System Day, which was a Sunday. The Peterson shop, which is indeed near Fox, was closed. However, I went to the Peterson shop the following day and met Giangi, who's a prince of a fellow. I picked up a beautiful Terracotta spigot prince. A couple days later, I visited the factory where Glen Whelan gave me the grand tour. Great visit!

1000001743.jpg