PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
A number of years ago I purchased on eBay what I thought was a Jost's (Saint Louis, Missouri) silver-banded billiard pipe. When it arrived I found that it was actually stamped "JOST," not "JOST'S." There was no other stamping on the pipe. Further, it appeared to have been dip-stained, as there was dye inside of the bowl and shank. Interestingly, the Vulcanite stem appeared to be from the 1930s or 40s, and the drilling was spot-on aligning perfectly with the bottom of the bowl.

After removing the dye from the inside of the bowl and shank, I smoked this pipe a few times and found it to be a decent performer, but I put it aside, mildly disgusted that it was not an actual Jost's-made pipe. I found it again this week, cleaned it up, and have decided to put it back in the rotation.

In reading the "Jost's" entry on pipedia.org today, I saw where in St. Louis there was a pipe-maker named Bill Collins, whose artisan name was JOST. Does anyone here have any information about Mr. Collins and his JOST pipes? (There was very little on pipedia). Please let me know.

Reactions: didimauw