PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This is a Kaywoodie Custom Grain from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint. Custom Grains were made from 1960-1971. I would not be surprised if Paul Spaniola bought it back then. Got it during their 94th Anniversary sale. It's my first bulldog.
kay22010gc1.JPG

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Jud- Nice pipe! I know you are a wise old sage, but I too want to know why it took you so long to buy a bulldog? You know that once you buy that first one, there's no turning back!!....................

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This is a Kaywoodie Custom Grain from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint. Custom Grains were made from 1960-1971. I would not be surprised if Paul Spaniola bought it back then. Got it during their 94th Anniversary sale. It's my first bulldog.
kay22010gc1.JPG
??
Welcome to the Bulldog lovers club.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Nice acquisition!
Enjoy.
You’re not exactly a newb - why did it take you so long to get yourself a dog and why this one?
Jud- Nice pipe! I know you are a wise old sage, but I too want to know why it took you so long to buy a bulldog? You know that once you buy that first one, there's no turning back!!....................
Dunno. A very large percentage of my pipes are billiards, or of the Canadian/Liverpool/Lovat persuasion. Saddle stem billiards speak to me, for some reason. I've got a Rhodesian - a Kaywoodie Fineline I bought not that long ago.
I was thinking about another Kaywoodie. I looked at some Finelines at https://wvsmokeshop.com/ - none of them called my name. Welcome to Briar Blues | Where service is not a luxury - https://briarblues.com/ had a Kaywoodie billiard I liked, but I did not move fast enough. I went to look at Paul's - oh, look, the sale is still on - and that bulldog spoke to me.
For those of you not familiar with Paul's - you should be. Their website is not state of the art - you have to call to order tobacco - but, as was pointed out, Paul's is an institution. When Paul Spaniola died a few years back. Pipes & Tobacco mag gave him a full-page obit, with a full-page pic. He was quite the character. ** Paul's Pipe Shop ** - http://paulspipeshop.com/
If nothing else, scroll to the bottom of the page and check out the museum.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It arrived yesterday. It's not a big pipe - I'd guess a Dunhill Group 3 - which is very okay with me. Initiated it with a bowl of Lane Ready Rubbed - it smoked like a champ. I'll have to do some reading on cleaning Kaywoodies with the stinger intact. I don't intend to remove it.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Love the pipe. Never gotten a pipe from Paul's but his prices are very reasonable. A new pipe smoker could put together a fine rotation shopping there. I've been on the site before and the pipes are endless.
The pipes are endless and for as little as $35. Being in the store is a little overwhelming at first since it was hard to find something I didn't want.

I believe the 13th pipe is free (with some restrictions or heavily discounted) when you get to the baker's dozen.

Reactions: FurCoat

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The pipes are endless and for as little as $35. Being in the store is a little overwhelming at first since it was hard to find something I didn't want.

I believe the 13th pipe is free (with some restrictions or heavily discounted) when you get to the baker's dozen.
That's for their Cayuga house brand,
Their house pipes look pretty good. I would love to visit the store.
I have several Cayugas I enjoy.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
That's for their Cayuga house brand,

I have several Cayugas I enjoy.
This Cayuga was my first non-basket or cob pipe. The Cayuga pipes are oil cured and treated with a "miracle cake" to assist the break in process.

It took a liking to Arrowhead (the house "crack" blend which is a kitchen sink mix of aromatics) that I only smoke aromatics in it.

I highly recommend the shop, pipe, and Arrowhead.

Attachments

• 20220730_080425.jpg
    20220730_080425.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: judcole
Jun 23, 2019
Asking a slightly off topic question here:

Can any Kaywoodie experts enlighten me when they started coated the inside of the bowls? I had a few pipes that looked 'glazed' and shiny inside the bowl...