Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It looks like there’s some twine or paper on the metal face that is preventing the stem from screwing all the way down—it may be there to keep the alignment of the bit horizontal. Someone here might be able to give advice on reclocking so that things align properly when the stem is fully screwed in.

unclefloyd

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2018
Space Coast Florida
It looks like there’s some twine or paper on the metal face that is preventing the stem from screwing all the way down—it may be there to keep the alignment of the bit horizontal. Someone here might be able to give advice on reclocking so that things align properly when the stem is fully screwed in.
Do you know if that is the normal setup for a Kaywoodie? There’s not a “stinger”
on the part stuck in the shank?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
As far as I can tell, the part of the tenon showing, is supposed to stay in the stem. Looks like someone tried to tighten the stem with twine or whatever, and got it stuck in the shank.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
That metal part poking out is supposed to be glued inside the stem. The stinger is still in the shank, try pulling it out with your fingers by turning counter clockwise. Once the stinger is out you’ll need to glue it back into the stem while aligning it to the proper orientation.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Looks like the previous owner may have smoked the pipe like that for a while. The threads are starting to get flat on the end that goes in the stem. Hope you can get it threaded back in properly.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Thank you

Yeah I didn’t show a photo of inside the bowl. You could barely stick a pinky in the bowl with all the cake buildup.
I had an old Kaywoodie just like that. There was no room to even fit any tobacco in it! I had to ream what seemed like a 1/4 cup of cake out of it. The shank and stem were absolutely filthy as well and I went through many cotton swabs and pipe cleaners to get it back into smoking condition. It paid off though and it's a great little pipe.

unclefloyd

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2018
Space Coast Florida
I had an old Kaywoodie just like that. There was no room to even fit any tobacco in it! I had to ream what seemed like a 1/4 cup of cake out of it. The shank and stem were absolutely filthy as well and I went through many cotton swabs and pipe cleaners to get it back into smoking condition. It paid off though and it's a great little pipe.
I’m hoping mine will be a great smoker too.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I am certainly correct on this one. A problem I have diagnosed for hundreds of people. Lol. The twine is an issue, I hope you get it worked out. Reclocking is easily done with a little heat but there are many misguided folks who use twine or something worse. I even have an old heater from the Kaywoodie factory that warms the bushing on the shank so you can pull it and fix the issue, but a heat gun does wonders.