Kaywoodie Mini Drinkless - Any Insights?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Davide Iafisco Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
3 Fresh Sam Adebayo Pipes
72 Fresh Peterson Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I've just gotten this little guy. Came so much smaller than I thought it would be. The camber is 12mm, about 20mm deep. Full working screw in stem. Stamped Kaywoodie Drinkless.

Does anyone have info on these guys? Were they meant to be smoked, or just for display?

kaywoodie-mini-4.jpg

KaywoodieMini-3.jpg

I think its super cool, but don't know if it is something I am going to hold on too.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I had a campus before - this one is about an inch, inch and a half shorter. Here is a shot of her next to a standard size billiard.

View attachment 51146
I know the size. The stinger is the issue.
I had a campus before - this one is about an inch, inch and a half shorter. Here is a shot of her next to a standard size billiard.

View attachment 51146
that’s why Campus is in quotes. Not a true Campus, but the two I had came with boxes and everything. They are designed for quick smokes. The spike stinger is the giveaway

Reactions: Brew&Briar

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Wow. That is a small pipe. Can't help with ID, but It reminds me of my first Dunhill. I won it on ebay and was so excited! I got it for like $190 which was fair for the condition. It showed up and was a tiny group 2 flake pipe. I was clueless.

Best of luck with your tinypipe! Use it for Black irish xxx or something. It has a use.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Reactions: BROBS

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
If any Kaywoodie restorers are reading this - I am thinking about hitting the stem with some micro mesh to bring back some shine. I am worried about the little white spade - do these pop out/ are they sensitive?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
If any Kaywoodie restorers are reading this - I am thinking about hitting the stem with some micro mesh to bring back some shine. I am worried about the little white spade - do these pop out/ are they sensitive?
The white spade is period dependent. Older Kaywoodies had an actual implanted spade that if it popped out “Hard as Nails” worked great as a filler.

Newer Kaywoodies had some just “painted on”. Put a loupe on it to figure it out.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
The white spade is period dependent. Older Kaywoodies had an actual implanted spade that if it popped out “Hard as Nails” worked great as a filler.

Newer Kaywoodies had some just “painted on”. Put a loupe on it to figure it out.
It is definitely an insert and not painted. I guess I will give it a go with the micro mesh. :oops:

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Does anyone have info on these guys? Were they meant to be smoked, or just for display?

I have one. Bought it by accident on ebay without realizing it was group 1 sized. I was completely perplexed why anyone would want such a small bowl but since then I've come to love it. It turns out to be a great pipe for burley blends and C&D style American blends. Really focuses the burley flavor in a way that larger bowls don't. I use it all the time now. The downside is you have to refill the bowl frequently, but if you're looking for a 10 minutes smoke, that's the pipe to reach for.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I have one. Bought it by accident on ebay without realizing it was group 1 sized. I was completely perplexed why anyone would want such a small bowl but since then I've come to love it. It turns out to be a great pipe for burley blends and C&D style American blends. Really focuses the burley flavor in a way that larger bowls don't. I use it all the time now. The downside is you have to refill the bowl frequently, but if you're looking for a 10 minutes smoke, that's the pipe to reach for.
It just feels silly sitting in my mouth. I am surprised you get a 10 min smoke out of it! I was thinking.. Charring light. Tamp. Relight. Puff... Puff... done.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I get it. They're ridiculous little pipes. I just happened to find a good use for it as a burley smoker.
I might have to give it a try for that then. What is your go-to burley? I have tried haunted bookshops, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. What do you think it is about the mini bowl that enhances it?

Status
Not open for further replies.