PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
I have an old Kaywoodie that I really enjoy. It has the stinger as shown. My question is: What is the purpose of the round ball on the end? It has 4 holes in it (you can only see two in the picture, but two more are on the underside). The ball is hollow and the 4 holes all interconnect. What they Do Not do is add anything to the draw. The only hole that draws at all is the larger hole that my pen points to. The narrow tapered part of the stringer appears to be solid.

stinger.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
That's old English ear cleaner. In case your ear itches while smoking.

In honest truth, I think that's condenser to condense moisture at that point to be dropped into mortise without causing gurgle.

• Haha
Reactions: Kal

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
All the hole draw. Remember it’s in a shank.

Kaywoodie four hole stingers are great. Their other versions are trash. There are some seriously jacked up stingers out there.

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
All the hole draw. Remember it’s in a shank.

Kaywoodie four hole stingers are great. Their other versions are trash. There are some seriously jacked up stingers out there.
I was about to disagree, but I think I get what you are saying. The ball "seals up" at the end of the shank and the draw if from the hole by the pen, then is pulled through the holes on the ball end.

You have enlightened me!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The object is to disrupt the air flow. The stream of moisture laden smoke passing across the sharp edges of the holes causes the moisture to condense. the widening and restriction of the inner draw also has an effect on condensing moisture (Venturi/Bernoulli effect), as does the metal to some degree.

Now I suppose there can be some debate as to how effective this is as far as cooling/drying the smoke. Indeed, there have been other contraptions over the decades, as someone has tried to develop a better mousetrap.

One of my particular favorites is the Byford Condenser...

Byford Condenser.JPG

I do flush my Byford pipes with water after smoking them in order to get all the tar out.