PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
KBB Yellobole Premier:

74901e92.jpg

Complete pipe with original stinger, the original owner either liked the air space packing method or never smoked his tobacco down to the heel. It is still yellow at the bottom of the bowl, and has some of the honey coating inside of the rim. Apparently, these old Yelloboles were varnished, as there is some water damage in the shellac along the bottom under the stamping. According to the Yellobole dating site it was probably made before 1939.

The stamping has the KBB clover, Yellobole, Premier, and "cured with real honey", a trademark R, and "Imported Briar". The shape is a Dublin with a forward cant.

It actually appears to be a well made pipe, no obvious fills, and some distinctive grain on the sides. Not too bad for briar that wasn't good enough to be a Kaywoodie. :)

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
TY. I think the cheaper pipes of old are made from way better briar than the cheaper pipes today. And no Brylon!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I really like a lot of the old KBB Yelloboles. The best birdseye I ever saw was on one. You got a nice one!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"I think the cheaper pipes of old are made from way better briar than the cheaper pipes today."
I never really thought about it, but it makes sense.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
IMO they are just "better". They were manufactured with more care, and it shows.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I scored one over the weekend via an estate sale, looks exactly the same, but with one problem. Broken tenon. The lady gave me the pieces, I think they tried to take it apart because it was really, really crudded up. I had to slowly work my way through the stem with a very fine wire (which I got out of removing the paper from a twisty tie ;-) )
YelloBole1.jpg

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
I wanted to start collecting KBB yello boles. I have a couple and love the way they smoke. I used to see a lot of them go for next to nothing on eBay. Seemed like the minute I decided to try to start up a collection, everyone else did as well. Almost every one I wanted was bid up out of range of my meager budget. :cry:
Both the pipes shown here look like great scores.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks! I was surprised, but there were no counter bids on this one. Of course, I found this right after Christmas, one of the best times for trolling pipes on eBay, when everyone is short on funds. Can't tell you how many time I have been sniped as well. Don't give up!

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
I actually had enough money saved up to buy a small lot of pipes not long ago. I found a couple listings that no one had bid on and that had some really nice old briars, including KBBs, Kaywoodies and Linkmans that I believe were from the early 40s. I got sniped on that one hard. The guy not only did a test bid to see if I had a max out there, but I'm pretty sure he went direct to the seller to buy a the second lot was listed, because that listing was pulled right after the test bid. I don't mind getting sniped, but that seemed like dirty pool.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
That's some exquisite grain on a Yello Bole for sure. Can't believe Kaywoodie didn't make that into a Flame Grain series. Nice find, and I hope it smokes as well as it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.