PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Chasing Embers : Was this you?

The odds are very good he will legally get to keep it.

But he should not have publicized it.

That man has just earned two million dollars the same as if he’d won the lottery.

Next April 15 he will owe the gubbermint about a third in income taxes, plus whatever income tax Kentucky has.

More fun with lost and found:

That is a classic treasure trove under common law. It’s a cache of gold or silver coin, it’s so old the owner isn’t going to claim it, and it was concealed. In America the law is often finder’s keeper’s. In England a treasure trove belongs to the Crown.

What if he was trespassing? The land owner likely has a good claim. The law discourages treasure hunters on other people’s property.

What if the lucky finder drops one of his coins?

A coin or two found on the street is likely lost property. The finder is a thief unless he reports the lost property.

If you put a coin down and forget where you put the coin, that is mislaid property.
It remains your property. The finder must report it or he’s a thief.

But if you buy some land and there’s an old coffee can of small change in an old falling down shed, that is abandoned property. That is usually yours, to keep. And, it might not be taxable income until you sell it.

This is all law school stuff I learned over forty years ago, and it fascinated me.

Let’s say the finder kept quiet and put all those coins in his safe.

He’s a tax evader, but if he were to sit on his coins until he died, the lawyer for his estate will tell his heirs, the value of the coins on his date of death becomes the new taxable basis for income tax if the heirs ever sell, and today there is no estate taxes due on a single person of the estate is about ten million or less.

So his kids could hold the coins, or sell soon after he died and keep ALL the money, except for the lawyer’s cut, of course.:)

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
The odds are very good he will legally get to keep it.

But he should not have publicized it.

That man has just earned two million dollars the same as if he’d won the lottery.

Next April 15 he will owe the gubbermint about a third in income taxes, plus whatever income tax Kentucky has.

More fun with lost and found:

That is a classic treasure trove under common law. It’s a cache of gold or silver coin, it’s so old the owner isn’t going to claim it, and it was concealed. In America the law is often finder’s keeper’s. In England a treasure trove belongs to the Crown.

What if he was trespassing? The land owner likely has a good claim. The law discourages treasure hunters on other people’s property.

What if the lucky finder drops one of his coins?

A coin or two found on the street is likely lost property. The finder is a thief unless he reports the lost property.

If you put a coin down and forget where you put the coin, that is mislaid property.
It remains your property. The finder must report it or he’s a thief.

But if you buy some land and there’s an old coffee can of small change in an old falling down shed, that is abandoned property. That is usually yours, to keep. And, it might not be taxable income until you sell it.

This is all law school stuff I learned over forty years ago, and it fascinated me.

Let’s say the finder kept quiet and put all those coins in his safe.

He’s a tax evader, but if he were to sit on his coins until he died, the lawyer for his estate will tell his heirs, the value of the coins on his date of death becomes the new taxable basis for income tax if the heirs ever sell, and today there is no estate taxes due on a single person of the estate is about ten million or less.

So his kids could hold the coins, or sell soon after he died and keep ALL the money, except for the lawyer’s cut, of course.:)
Or sell his childhood collection piecemeal in small lots of a coin or two here or there...

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
if he were to sit on his coins until he died, the lawyer for his estate will tell his heirs, the value of the coins on his date of death becomes the new taxable basis for income tax if the heirs ever sell, and today there is no estate taxes due on a single person of the estate is about ten million or less.
I believe I read recently in the news that the IRS has quietly changed that rule in the last 6 months without publicizing it ... a capitol gain tax might now have to be paid under current administration ... better check with a tax attorney to be sure ....
1689864839970.png

• Sad
Reactions: OverMountain

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I believe I read recently in the news that the IRS has quietly changed that rule in the last 6 months without publicizing it ... a capitol gain tax might now have to be paid under current administration ... better check with a tax attorney to be sure ....
View attachment 234503

When a man dies, they have to tend to his carcass right then. The hospital needs the bed.:)

If he’s married his wife usually takes right over, and if those coins were in his safe she’d not have a clue of where they came from, what he paid, it’s just coins in safe.

But when she dies, there might be a passel of kids wanting to divide up the estate.

They hire a lawyer. We get paid a percentage.

So we lecture the kid that hired us, that if he slips one of those coins in his pocket he is a thief. Those have to be inventoried.

We get an appraisal for two reasons.

The first is all stealing stops when the inventory is filed. The other heirs know how many coins and how much some expert appraised them as worth.

The second reason is that appraisal becomes the new tax basis. I can’t see any other way the IRS could deal with it, unless there was a detailed record kept and there hardly ever is, of their purchase price.

What the IRS might change is, if the coins are sold at auction or to an arm’s length buyer within six months of death the actual price is the basis, regardless of appraisal. No, not to your brother in law, a real bona fide purchaser.:)

But if sold three years from death, the appraisal would be the basis. There’s long term gains (or loss) based on thd selling price.