18 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
We're still out of mason jars here in my town... I've got a few pounds of bulk piling up on me. Has anyone tried the knock off mason type jars? They're probably made in china and available from Dollar Tree. Seems like a pretty simple device.. how could they be inferior?

The real deal can be ordered from Amazon, but they are quite a bit more expensive that way.

Has anyone tried Non-mason mason jars?

Reactions: chopper

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Any ball-style jar with a rubber seal should work fine, whether in the interim or long-term. The only issue I would potentially foresee would be a cheaper material used on the lid creating a weaker seal. The cheapest foolproof alternative however would be to run to Walmart or home depot and grab some Mylar bags and then refill the jars you do have when you're ready to open the next bag.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
These jars have no markings.. same thing though two piece lid. These have no design, I believe they are marked made in china. The only difference in functional design i can see is that the rubber seal is clear or white instead of pink or red.. This may indicate that it's a different material.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
@Richmond B. Funkenhouser As long as the seal isn’t cracked or looks dry rotted you should be good to go. If you want to be extra sure get some isopropyl alcohol or high proof grain alcohol and pour a SMALL amount in. Submerge the bottom in some hot water. Lid pops up you‘re good. If you hear a hiss then a quick strip of rubber or electrical tape on the rim and problem solved.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
@Richmond B. Funkenhouser

I got suckered this summer ordering lids and rings for Mason jars from a website. The website clearly stated "US made shipped from US warehouses," which, unfortunately, should have been my first hint something was awry. Everything looked like they were selling Ball branded jars as that is what was pictured online.

What I received were cheap Chinese lids of very inferior quality shipped from China. Hunting around online, I found scores of dissatisfied consumers who had received exactly what I did, used them and had the lids buckle during canning process. The metal lids and bands are obviously thinner from visual inspection and tactile feel.

Getting a refund was a hassle. I asked for one immediately and kept getting the "we'll give you 10% refund" runaround, then 20%, then a whopping 50% percent. When I mentioned filing a fraud complaint with PayPal and my credit card, boy did the full refund coming flying back.

Caveat emptor. I only mess with Ball brand to ensure good quality. It may not be as critical with tobacco vs food storage, but I use my jars and lids for both.

Last edited:

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Just buy the jars with then pay the 3-5 dollars for "offical" ball lids off of amazon or Walmart.

There are no official Ball jar lids available on Amazon or Walmart.com or Target.com. If anyone sees them, I would love a link.

I have wondered about this and am in the same boat as Funk. I have some previously used glass jars and am in need of new lids. I lean toward them being fine since I am not jarring a food product and would be keeping it at a stable temp of 68-72. Still havn't pulled the trigger yet though...

Thankfully the local Meijer and Walmart have had the cases of 12 8oz jars available so I have been picking up those.

I'm talking about chinese no name plain glass jars without markings.
There are a few companies that are producing blank jars in the US for those of us who make and sell jams, jellies, honey, etc... The biggest difference is that they are a different type of glass. Ball/Mason jars are heat tempered borosilicate glass. You can put a lid on them and hit them with a wooden bat like a baseball. You'd have to try really hard to break one.
The no-name jars aren't heat tempered, so when they are bulk processed with foods, you just have to be aware that they cannot take a fast shift in temperature. You have to let them cool slowly. Whereas, with a Ball/Mason jar, you can drop them in cold water with no worries.

For what we do, with no heat (or very little heat) those no name jars would work great. They do not allow air to pass, and they are even a little lighter.

I wouldn't worry. And, I really doubt they are from China. You can do a Google search for bulk jars or bottle, and get them for way less than Mason/Ball canning jars.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
There are a few companies that are producing blank jars in the US for those of us who make and sell jams, jellies, honey, etc... The biggest difference is that they are a different type of glass. Ball/Mason jars are heat tempered borosilicate glass. You can put a lid on them and hit them with a wooden bat like a baseball. You'd have to try really hard to break one.
The no-name jars aren't heat tempered, so when they are bulk processed with foods, you just have to be aware that they cannot take a fast shift in temperature. You have to let them cool slowly. Whereas, with a Ball/Mason jar, you can drop them in cold water with no worries.

For what we do, with no heat (or very little heat) those no name jars would work great. They do not allow air to pass, and they are even a little lighter.

I wouldn't worry. And, I really doubt they are from China. You can do a Google search for bulk jars or bottle, and get them for way less than Mason/Ball canning jars.

Yea Im not too much concerned with the strength of the glass, I pretty much try not to drop em.. and I don't do any kind of heat seal.

I just figured most everything like that In Dollar Tree comes from a company called Greenbriar International... Their main thing is imports from China, but I know a lot of their stuff comes from closeouts too.

I'll pick up a few today and post a couple pictures.

You might look at these guys. The jam and jelly folks at the Farmers Markets get them sometimes for $0.50 a jar when they buy in bulk.
That is if you don't trust those that you mentioned.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
These jars have no markings.. same thing though two piece lid. These have no design, I believe they are marked made in china. The only difference in functional design i can see is that the rubber seal is clear or white instead of pink or red.. This may indicate that it's a different material.
you can always just use mason jar lids with the cheaper jars