PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you get below half a chamber of tobacco and ash, how do you know when the smoke is over? Certainly, the level of the ember is the first clue. When you get below a third of a full chamber it's time to pay attention. Having to relight more often is also a signal that you may be reaching the end of the bowl. Tamping gives you a sense if there is some springy unburnt tobacco left, or if you are just tamping mostly ash. The primary signal is flavor. If you are still getting the full harmony of tastes in the blend, you are still in the zone. When flavors begin to fade and/or have a slightly bitter or harsh edge, it is time to scoop out the ash and dottle (unburned tobacco) if any. This is no time to listen to your inner thrifty parent and keep relighting a bowl of ashes. just let it go out or stay out and scoop it clean. Flavor and enjoyment are the objectives, so when that ends, think about the next bowl.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
This afternoon I had a bowl hiss (steam) at me for about 45 seconds. At that point I knew that I was down to wet tobacco and once it goes out, relighting wouldn’t be worth it.

I still haven’t figured out how to keep that last 1/6 bowl from being soggy. (Unless I smoke upside-down)

Thanks for the reminder that it’s OK to waste a little. I needed that.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Burn through three Morgan Bones. And I learned my lesson. No damages to any of my Peterson. When you're near bottom, it's obvious to tell from looking at the chamber. If in doubt, gentle poke that stick tool in Czech tool to feel the bottom. If there's some dottles left, think about if it's deep enough for few puff, or better to pack it up. That tiny amount of dottles won't break your bank account. Then again I heard couple of banks going down for bad business practices. Maybe you should save the dottles, in shoes like Holmes.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I've found that in the rare event that I smoke a bowl all the way to the heel, it seems like the bowl stops smoking completely unexpectedly. Like I took a decent size puff, and then the next one, nothing happens. I very rarely get that far. I usually lose interest or the bottom of the bowl gets a little gurgly and I know that nothing good will come of trying to smoke a bowl that doesn't want to be smoked.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
My bowl ends when I'm done with it. I've really never thought of what triggers it, but sometimes I'll dump a half bowl just because, well, I'm done. I suppose I waste some tobacco, but if I'd enjoyed the smoke then I really haven't wasted anything.

Of course, it's gone the opposite direction, and I've ended up with a mouthful of ashes and embers. That's always nice.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
honestly I find that typically it goes out suddenly that's when it's done. When it's just a little dottle. Ocassionally it just isn't as enjoyable and I'll toss the last third. Sometimes packed too tightly and slightly wet and sometimes just not still in the mood for that particular blend. But mainly it stops smoking without dying out on a curve.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've found that in the rare event that I smoke a bowl all the way to the heel, it seems like the bowl stops smoking completely unexpectedly. Like I took a decent size puff, and then the next one, nothing happens. I very rarely get that far. I usually lose interest or the bottom of the bowl gets a little gurgly and I know that nothing good will come of trying to smoke a bowl that doesn't want to be smoked.
nice bass.

Reactions: yanoJL