Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Not nearly as common in the states as many other Italian artisans, La Nuvole (the clouds) are made by the husband and wife team of Maurizio and Stefania Tambori. When I did catch a glimpse at some of their pipes they were usually too big or too "out there" for my taste.

Sniffing around Lepipe for too long changed that. Finally found one I liked the look of, and it's treating me well so far!

They have their own set of brand shapes, of which this is my favorite - the Orientale. A deeply bent, angular, tall bowled piece. This one is graded S3, which is their highest sandblast grade. Conventionally you'd assume that meant ring grain, but Mauri is an unconventional guy. Instead the fore of the pipe is a field of blasted birdseye, while the flanks wear horizontal streaks.

The stem is red brindle ebonite and it is cut well. It fits perfectly flush against the mortise and the button practically disappears between the teeth.

Even the included pipe "sock" is unique and high quality - a single pipe leather "roll-up".

IMG_7425.jpegIMG_7430.jpegCA1C490C-EFAA-43B6-AD08-7B40ABF123C0.jpeg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Congrats, nice looker! 🍾🎈🎉

I have looked for several years at his site, yes, he does make some odd lookers.

The light as clouds marketing caught my eyes.

Enjoy! ❤️

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
It is a beautiful pipe. I've heard of the brand/ carver, but don't have one of these pipes. I don't shop for pipes often anymore but...this is tempting!

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Thanks! None quite like yours that I see but one or two.... tempting!

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
At first glance lepipe.it has the same pipe, but:

1. It's a smooth.
2. The bowl appears to be only two-thirds as deep,
while at bottom the pictured pipe is much more pointy.
3. The reverse bend of the stem and shank on lepipe is much deeper
4. The top of the shank joins to the bowl at an ascending angle so that the shank almost looks like it's part of the bowl. To me this is the central design feature; it dominates.
5.This pipe also has a backward descending rim.

To me they both have the same design, but the Lepipe is a good bit more free of a freehand. For me it was love at first sight, I would have bought it if money wasn't an issue.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
At first glance lepipe.it has the same pipe, but:

1. It's a smooth.
2. The bowl appears to be only two-thirds as deep,
while at bottom the pictured pipe is much more pointy.
3. The reverse bend of the stem and shank on lepipe is much deeper
4. The top of the shank joins to the bowl at an ascending angle so that the shank almost looks like it's part of the bowl. To me this is the central design feature; it dominates.
5.This pipe also has a backward descending rim.

To me they both have the same design, but the Lepipe is a good bit more free of a freehand. For me it was love at first sight, I would have bought it if money wasn't an issue.
Yeah my pipe is a Nuvole shape chart shape.
The one remaining at Lepipe (I got mine from Antonio too) that had a similar look is a Zed series I think.

There was a very similar pipe to mine just posted on the Le Nuvole website for sale recently.