PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't use them. I know it's popular among many smokers But, I only keep ten blends or so open at any time. I believe I'm still functioning enough to remember them. While reading thread about Sun Bear, I knew I had two Lak blends opened, but just couldn't remember them. Just like to let you know, the names came back. Squadron Leader, and Balkan Supreme. Thank God, the noodles are still working. I still don't need labels x)

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Recently I had jars with FVF and Brown Sugar Flake with the lids mixed up.
Visually very similar, but when I went to sniff what I thought was FVF I became confused.
Didn't take me long to figure it out.

I usually cut the label off the tin and put it in the jar with the tobacco. I rarely have more than 10 open at any time so - I could go label free if I had to.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
For me it's a Brother ptouch label maker. One for the jar and one for the lid. Then I can see the jar from above or the side and know. I use a color dot sticker as well to identify the type like virginia or burley etc. Makes finding a specific type or model much easier in a cabinet with now close to 75 jars of commercial blends and several of my own recipes from straight leaves. My own are dated with recipe ID to keep track of any changes over time.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I don't use them because my cellar only has five jars from as many blends, they all look distinct enough from each other that I can tell which is which. Calling what I have a cellar is generous of course, if I significantly expand it then I'll probably get some labels; duct tape and sharpie at least.

Reactions: bullet08

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
When I was a kid, my Dad was in the Army. At the time, the Commissary (grocery store for the civilians) didn't have labels on any of their canned goods. You hoped that the store worker properly stamped the black ink with the right name on the top of the can. Sometimes there were surprise meals...

Back to pipes - I just have my tins and original jars...no real "cellar" like all the rich people. :ROFLMAO::col:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I use dissolvable labels, I annotate them with a pen and they wash right off after the jar is empty and ready for repurposing. They can be found here: Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAJWQ2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to use my Brother P-Touch to make labels, after a while I got tired of digging it out and it wastes a lot of label material due to how it cuts the labels.
You can set the margin size (space on either side of the lettering).
On my machine its: Fn-Margin-OK-(choose option). I use “chain print”)

IMG_5751.jpeg