PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PApiper63

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
I have plenty of pipes with medium sized bowls. I often enjoy lighting up and sitting by a fire or reading a book and would enjoy a much longer smoke….say an hour and 15 minutes or more. I have trouble locating a decent pipe with a large bowl for a reasonable price. Perhaps my searches are bad. If you have any suggestions of where to look or good search words to use I would appreciate it. Also if you have any thoughts about pipes with large chambers/bowls I would appreciate that as well.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nevaditude
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have plenty of pipes with medium sized bowls. I often enjoy lighting up and sitting by a fire or reading a book and would enjoy a much longer smoke….say an hour and 15 minutes or more. I have trouble locating a decent pipe with a large bowl for a reasonable price. Perhaps my searches are bad. If you have any suggestions of where to look or good search words to use I would appreciate it. Also if you have any thoughts about pipes with large chambers/bowls I would appreciate that as well.
Thanks in advance.
Try learning to smoke slower: On Smoking Slowly and the Benefits...

My favored chamber size is about 0.75" x 1", and I typically get about an hour per bowl, but feel like there is still room for improvement. (I have pipes with deeper chambers, but they often last too long, and I need to let them go out to take care of other things before I can get back to them. So I tend to reach for them less.)

Last edited:

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Biggest I have is a couple of my Castello's which are 23mm wide x 50mm deep which provides about 2.15/2.5hrs of smoking time but they aren't cheap. Perhaps take a look at the Peterson House/Pub pipes which give me a 2 hour smoke and much cheaper.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Most retailers list the dimensions of the pipes.

Some factors other than bowl size:

# The presentation of the tobacco will affect how fast/slow they burn.
Shags burn fastest, followed by ribbon.
Flakes and plugs the slowest -
Whether you rub out, cube cut or fold&stuff matters.

# The dryness of the tobacco and ambient humidity
# Your cadence
# If the pipe has an open or restricted draw.

Size is not all 😁

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
There are a number of ways to go for a large chamber. My definition is 1 3/4 “high by 3/4” diameter. Depending on the blend I’ll get an hour and a half to 2 hours.
Rossi makes pipes in this category that are popular and inexpensive. And there are plenty of other manufacturers who produce pipes in this size as well.
Thats roughly 45mm deep and 19mm wide. Savinelli 620 and Rossi 8620 size.

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I had a meerschaum lined Dr Plumb, cheap and not high on my list, but that was good for a long smoke. Maybe that kind of bowl lends itself to greater capacity?

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
In my opinion a decent price is below 400. Above that and it seems smoking pipes puts out a video. When you see a video in their description it's a fancy pipe. With that in mind you'd be well served to get a jumbo boswell if you can. Around 300 plus or minus. That's a very large pipe.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
What do you consider "a decent price"? There's loads of large pipes out there, pretty much any Savinelli with the KS stamp on it is gonna be large, Peterson Pub & House pipes are enormous, Peterson B42 & 307/9S are sizable as well.
The Peterson irish Seconds are outstanding value for the money. My Peterson Pub Pipe is a #1 Second and I'm still not sure what made it a second; it was only $140. delivered ...very well worth it.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
The Peterson irish Seconds are outstanding value for the money. My Peterson Pub Pipe is a #1 Second and I'm still not sure what made it a second; it was only $140. delivered ...very well worth it.
Same. Although I don't think it's as worth it if you're buying a rusticated Irish Seconds Pub but some of the nicer ones, for sure!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Same. Although I don't think it's as worth it if you're buying a rusticated Irish Seconds Pub but some of the nicer ones, for sure!
OUCH !!:eek: 🤕 ;) .... mine's a beautiful sandblast with highlighted ring grain on right side and sandblast pattern on the left. I found a same year house pipe in sandblast that is a mirror image of mine (sides reversed) that I suspect is from the same root or made by same person but I'm hesitating on buying it as it only has 7.5mm wood on bottom vs normal 10-12mm ... and the cost is much more.