PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I posted this eBay win last year and have finally got some pics to share. From what I can gather from the size of the arched Dunhill over London nomenclature this pipe was made sometime between the end of May 1919 and before the end of that year.

I read some chatter somewhere which said they were given to lieutenants or something in the Brittish army. I’m not sure about the accuracy of this claim however.

Enjoy 🤙🏼

P.s. special thanks and photo credits to Tim. Anything looks kickarse next to that pipe knife.

2130FE96-884B-49BF-AF73-9B0E9F6F6359.jpeg6BE0B716-93D8-41D4-AC9F-519DBE11BB83.jpeg5CBB4BB1-F8C2-47D9-8C06-271B4561B5EA.jpegF28F137E-F33F-465C-8B3F-0B337087FFCD.jpegE331D9AB-236F-4A50-B6C1-B5CCBA1CF71F.jpeg87126B88-923C-4878-8427-CB9A6CE35EF6.jpegF19A7BA0-FC91-4C2D-84B3-9AB78D06CEDE.jpeg79A940FA-F5A9-44B6-B59B-4048DAE13BEC.jpeg44DE21D2-7B69-40CD-9138-9F106A315DBD.jpeg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I posted this eBay win last year and have finally got some pics to share. From what I can gather from the size of the arched Dunhill over London nomenclature this pipe was made sometime between the end of May 1919 and before the end of that year.

I read some chatter somewhere which said they were given to lieutenants or something in the Brittish army. I’m not sure about the accuracy of this claim however.

Enjoy 🤙🏼

P.s. special thanks and photo credits to Tim. Anything looks kickarse next to that pipe knife.

View attachment 198877View attachment 198878View attachment 198879View attachment 198880View attachment 198881View attachment 198882View attachment 198883View attachment 198884View attachment 198885
That is very smart pipe albeit somewhat small. Do you know any more of the story that it was given to Lieutenants in the British Army?

Also, why do the Brits and their progeny pronounce it left-tenant? Even the French say it the American way, loo-tenant).

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
That is very smart pipe albeit somewhat small. Do you know any more of the story that it was given to Lieutenants in the British Army?

Also, why do the Brits and their progeny pronounce it left-tenant? Even the French say it the American way, loo-tenant).
I’ll see if I can find the original reference to the army thing.

As for loo-tenant. That’s how we say it.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Nice score there Ahi.

In very good nick for 100+years, obviously refurbished and what have you, but would you still need to take care smoking this being that old?
I've read on the forum where smoking pipes this old can be a risk, but not sure if I'm confused with un-smoked pipes.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Nice score there Ahi.

In very good nick for 100+years, obviously refurbished and what have you, but would you still need to take care smoking this being that old?
I've read on the forum where smoking pipes this old can be a risk, but not sure if I'm confused with un-smoked pipes.
Fragile bone tenons and stem materials are something to keep in mind…though the main risk of briar drying and and then cracking (or needing to line the chamber) are with un-smoked antiques.

Most of my pipes are this old, however the few I have which are unsmoked I’m too chicken shit to light up. I like my estates to be well smoked and cared for.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Fragile bone tenons and stem materials are something to keep in mind…though the main risk of briar drying and and then cracking (or needing to line the chamber) are with un-smoked antiques.

Most of my pipes are this old, however the few I have which are unsmoked I’m too chicken shit to light up. I like my estates to be well smoked and cared for.

Cheers, that's good to know.

This one looks good to go 👍

I'd be itching to fill it with some stout plug.

*Edit; This Dunhill I definitely get.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Congratulations on a wonderful find in what appears to be extraordinarily good shape. Especially nice is seeing how legible is all its nomenclature including the reg number on the stem. The arched Dunhill very precisely dates your Quaint "O" model bulldog to 1919, and as the page below shows, it was featured in the 4th Edition of About Smoke which was published in 1920 (and for most part illustrated with 1919 pipes).

As for Dunhill's early efforts to promote pipes (as well as other products) to British soldiers during the First World War, the best source we have is the catalogue titled "Things the Soldiers are Asking For" published in December 1914. (A small facsimile was included as a bonus by Briarbooks in their reprint of a dozen years ago of the 1923 Christmas Edition of "About Smoke").

Though I could of course be completely wrong, I have some trouble imagining that a year after the end of WW1 Dunhill would still be manufacturing pipes specifically for the armed forces (as they did in 1914 and sold at discount in batches of 100 for £5). And even more trouble imagining them singling out one of their small volume "quaints" for supply to the military, let alone a specific rank. But hey. It's a really lovely, early example of a very rare pipe. xABOUT SMOKE 4th ed p29.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks @guylesss for posting that. Appreciate it bro. I defer to your expertise in the area and concur with your observations about army supply. I must try and find the original source I had for that tidbit, upon reflection there was most probably some creative license used.

Edit: if you hadn’t seen it, I’d love your perspective on this pimped up billiards

Last edited:
Reactions: Honkytonk Man

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
In the British army, if you found yourself in ‘hand to hand’ combat, you’d find the Ruperts (officers) conspicuously absent from the field of battle.
Top brass are normally well behind & lieutenants are usually found well to the left, out of harms way. Hence, left-tenant.
Some might say that because ‘lieutenant’ was originally a French word, it couldn’t be allowed (in it’s French form) & they’d be right.

@Ahi Ka
What a cutie!👍

Reactions: mingc and Ahi Ka

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Congratulations on a wonderful find in what appears to be extraordinarily good shape. Especially nice is seeing how legible is all its nomenclature including the reg number on the stem. The arched Dunhill very precisely dates your Quaint "O" model bulldog to 1919, and as the page below shows, it was featured in the 4th Edition of About Smoke which was published in 1920 (and for most part illustrated with 1919 pipes).

As for Dunhill's early efforts to promote pipes (as well as other products) to British soldiers during the First World War, the best source we have is the catalogue titled "Things the Soldiers are Asking For" published in December 1914. (A small facsimile was included as a bonus by Briarbooks in their reprint of a dozen years ago of the 1923 Christmas Edition of "About Smoke").

Though I could of course be completely wrong, I have some trouble imagining that a year after the end of WW1 Dunhill would still be manufacturing pipes specifically for the armed forces (as they did in 1914 and sold at discount in batches of 100 for £5). And even more trouble imagining them singling out one of their small volume "quaints" for supply to the military, let alone a specific rank. But hey. It's a really lovely, early example of a very rare pipe. View attachment 201306
Good God, what is shape S?! A hammer head pipe? Does the chamber extend the entire length of the pipe perpendicular to the draft/shank?

• Haha