24 Fresh Rattray's Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Simply put, lead has no place near humans.

I don’t speak about this, but I was severely damaged by lead poisoning as a child. It is difficult for me to recognize faces and my short term memory is almost non existent in many simple ways. Over the years I devoloped and learned ways to cope with these shortcomings. Simply put, lead is nasty.

Last edited:

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Is there anything on this planet that is not contaminated? Here in my city, there are more pharmacies than bars, or supermarkets, mobile phone stores, etc. The pharmacies look like real toy and jelly bean stores. I have been comparing industrial foods, which have worsened over the decades, on the nutritional issue. To reduce costs, they have no scruples. And they apply it in any industrial sector. You already know that. It is nothing new.

Simply put, lead has no place near humans.

I don’t speak about this, but I was severely damaged by lead poisoning as a child. It is difficult for me to recognize faces and my short term memory is almost non existent in many simple ways. Over the years I devoloped and learned ways to cope with these shortcomings. Simply put, lead is nasty.
There are some very good and irreplaceable uses for lead. As mentioned, it makes the use of steel more workable. Bullets, because silver neither shoots straight, nor kills werewolves as well as we've been told. In electronics, etc... However, the more leade that we can keep out of the house and out of our hands the better.

Is there anything on this planet that is not contaminated? Here in my city, there are more pharmacies than bars, or supermarkets, mobile phone stores, etc. The pharmacies look like real toy and jelly bean stores. I have been comparing industrial foods, which have worsened over the decades, on the nutritional issue. To reduce costs, they have no scruples. And they apply it in any industrial sector. You already know that. It is nothing new.
Wait till someone brings up micro-plastics. That's some nasty, nasty, and I'll guarantee you that we all have them in our blood already.

• Wow
Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
There are some very good and irreplaceable uses for lead. As mentioned, it makes the use of steel more workable. Bullets, because silver neither shoots straight, nor kills werewolves as well as we've been told. In electronics, etc... However, the more leade that we can keep out of the house and out of our hands the better.

Wait till someone brings up micro-plastics. That's some nasty, nasty, and I'll guarantee you that we all have them in our blood already.
In that case, I'm going to smoke a bowl of C&D Pirate Kake, and a few shots of whiskey. My rubber ducky, proposes, kicking you all in the ass, like a fresh cauliflower. And send you all to purgatory.L8MCGt.gif

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yesterday word came to me that a Chosen and Elected Superintendent of the Elders has laid down his earthly trophies.

My wife thinks all the tribulations, woe and misery of the world is because of organized religion.

She gets angry when I say Jesus Christ probably agrees with her.:)

My brother elder will now be judged, on how well he cared for the lowly as he cared for Christ.

That is the sum essence of my sure and certain knowledge of Christ’s message. We have no other creed as Christians.

It is good children have thermos mugs. It keeps their milk cold, and their oatmeal hot.

Now please tell me the necessity of a lead plug in the bottom of one.

And would you hand one to a babe in a manger?.:)

Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
My only real callout is people get so acutely and specifically concerned. Have a lead containing plug in their mug is an issue, but I’m curious how many live in houses built with lead soldered copper pipes which is hugely widespread. In the same vein, all plumbing installed before 1988 should be replaced nationwide if your are genuinely concerned about lead exposure in drinking water.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My only real callout is people get so acutely and specifically concerned. Have a lead containing plug in their mug is an issue, but I’m curious how many live in houses built with lead soldered copper pipes which is hugely widespread. In the same vein, all plumbing installed before 1988 should be replaced nationwide if your are genuinely concerned about lead exposure in drinking water.

There is no federal law in the USA prohibiting asbestos.

Try to buy some.:)

If the government decreed all the lead in the pipes had to be removed, who would pay for it?

There was a huge hue and cry, great wailing and gnashing of teeth, over proposed regulations making gas ranges a little more efficient.

And let’s not forget the twenty year struggle to replace the incandescent light bulb with one many times better.:)

The Stanley company has closed their USA plants. They contract with the Chinese or some other low wage country to build the Thermos mug.

Someplace that doesn’t give two shits about their workers installing that lead plug.

Let the market decide, if that’s all right.

Those lawyers that advertise on television are watching.

The same ones that go after baby powder, used in delicate places.:)

Last edited:
There is no federal law in the USA prohibiting asbestos.
Jewelers, ceramicists, and anyone who works with melting things or kilns use asbestos all the time. The difference is that there are many different forms of asbestos. The form of loose asbestos used in insulation is the dangerous one. But, compacted solid form asbestos poses no problems. It is the fish hook shape of the particles that makes the loose form dangerous, because it gets stuck in lungs and will not come out, like tiny fishhooks.

If the government decreed all the lead in the pipes had to be removed, who would pay for it?
Birmingham did this a decade or so ago. However, from the main to your house is your responsibility.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It’s been nearly thirty years ago, but on the day the verdict against McDonald’s came in for selling coffee that was too hot I called a personal injury lawyer I referred cases to and was paid huge sums when they settled, and said Dick, this is just too far!

Did the lady expect a cold, safe cup of coffee?

Dick explained the verdict was for one morning’s coffee sales at McDonalds.

And Dick said McDonald’s knew their 180 degree coffee would cause severe burns. They engineered that temperature so the customer could eat their Egg McMuffin and hash browns and the coffee would be drinkable about then.

I said Dick, they’ll hang all us lawyers from the lamp posts, someday,,,anyway.

Dick had five NFA select fire automatic rifles including a geniune Colt M-16.

The coolest one was the Thompson, by far, no contest. The best sub machine gun in a war was the MP-40. The FN FAL and M1-A were uncontrollable on full auto. The M-16 was the all around best military weapon. If there’s a better killing machine than an Armalite rifle the free world hasn’t found it yet.

Thirty years ago Remington Arms was one of largest makers of firearms on earth.

They bought a little company named Bushmaster.

It didn’t work out so well, for Remington.

There is a gulf between what is legal, and what is moral.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When I was a kid I used to chew on lead sinkers when I'd go fishing, I think I turned out ok😜 View attachment 284024 I'm more concerned with the parasitic infection that I may have from owning cats all my life 😼
Common cat-borne parasite is positively associated with frailty in older adults
hate to say this but when ever anyone says they turned out o.k. they usually didn't. Like this woman I worked with would talk about her upbringing and how she turned out o.k., ignoring the insane amount of time she spent in juvie. Although I won't bring it up here I had my own I turned out o.k. until a girlfriend or three was like no dude you ain't normal at all.
The cat parasite thing is pretty much speculation. Doesn't mean it's not correct, but also means it's not a sure thing.
O.k. You can now go back to your discussion I think I've ruined enough things for today. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
lead is weird. Basically your body thinks it's calcium. Your body loves holding onto calcium, because it's used in a lot of processes and is also reusable. So lead poisoning is not so bad until it hits a critical point. Once it hits a threshold all the functions that calcium is used for instead get lead which literally just prevents the processes from happening. So it's got a double whammy of having really very super bad effects that build cumulatively while your body holds onto it thinking it's a precious mineral.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Birmingham did this a decade or so ago. However, from the main to your house is your responsibility.

Xxxxx

To actually implement such a law nationwide would require:

1. None of those lead and lead solder pipes are registered. How do you locate them? Who plays Judas?

2. Public water supply providers have crews and taxing authority. Homeowners do not. Many owners are retired, and have no savings. Nothing is free. Who pays?

3. There will be intentional non compliance. What penalty? Who decides who to arrest?

None of this is easy.

But if it’s left alone, the replacements will eventually solve the problem.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
WHERE STANLEY LEADS I WILL FOLLOW. I love my stanley coffee thermos, and my water bottle. On any given day when I misplace my green flask I feel a sense of despair that only a toddler can understand when they cannot find their special teddy bear at bedtime. I can misplace keys, pipes etc without much stress but NOT the flask.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, heavens, I wish I hadn't read this thread!

I used to play with lead, in a manner of speaking. I'd melt down all the 22 bullets captured in my basement shooting range in my mother's sauce pan. She immediately got another after a bit of upbraiding.

I'm not sure what I made beyond a few pounds poured into a tin can.

A cousin of mine had a very extensive set of lead toy soldiers—many hundreds—and he'd reenact great battles. In spite being of lead-though thoroughly painted in regimental colors, I bet the collection is worth many thousands. Oh, yeah, he's cray-cray, though a productive member of society.

Last edited:

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Oh, heavens, I wish I hadn't read this thread. I used to play with lead, in a Manner of speaking. I'd melt down all the ... in my mother's sauce pan....
Me too. I poured it into little Mattel skull molds from their Creepy Crawley little hot plate toy set. Not lately LOL, over 50 yrs ago 😉

Reactions: jpmcwjr