PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
So I just began using a new can of Zippo lighter fluid, it leaks from around the red cap when the can is tipped over to fill a lighter. The leak rate equals what comes out of the white spigot. It doesn't seem to leak when the can is upright -- I can squeeze anything out (air or liquid). Any ideas for safely retaining the contents, I'd prefer to avoid discarding a nearly full 12 oz. can. I've considered transferring the contents to another container, e.g., glass or plastic, each of which brings along other issues.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I have this problem too and if I play with the angle of the spout when opening (not opening it all the way so that it’s bent back passed a 90 degree angle, or only opening it partially so that it’s almost 90 degrees) anyway… the leak on my can seems to come from around the outside edges of the spout so I play with the opening angle to prevent leaking… sometimes it works.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
No, I don't have the empty container, not sure how I'd use it if I had it. OTOH fiddling around with the angle of the white spout shows some promise.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Ronsonol big bottle last me awhile. And hasn't leaked so far. Not sure why Zippo cans are leaking. I used Zippo fluid few times, but they seem to be hard to come by around here, and expensive.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Zippo also makes butane pipe inserts now, actual Zippo brand, not third party that have mixed reviews, some good some bad. I have one coming to my mailbox soon.