Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I tend to always have a plug of 3P's going. Salty dogs is good. Wessex Gold Brick.

I just got a plug from Ken Byron but I haven't opened it yet. The packaging states it's an "informal" plug, whatever that means. Sadly I haven't tried any Gawith plugs yet. I hope that changes soon.

Jackknife Plug from Pease is also good, but from my experience it doesn't seem to be as tightly pressed as the others.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I tend to always have a plug of 3P's going. Salty dogs is good. Wessex Gold Brick.

I just got a plug from Ken Byron but I haven't opened it yet. The packaging states it's an "informal" plug, whatever that means. Sadly I haven't tried any Gawith plugs yet. I hope that changes soon.

Jackknife Plug from Pease is also good, but from my experience it doesn't seem to be as tightly pressed as the others.
I could be wrong but there does seem to be a difference between what constitutes a plug in the U.S and the U.K?
In the reviews I’ve seen of U.S plugs, they seem to be easily broken and rubbed out with fingers alone?
The U.K plugs sometimes need an oxyacetylene torch to get any off!
Could the U.S style of plug be a result of how chewing tobacco is prepared? I defy anyone to be able to bite through 3P’s or Warrior Plug, without snapping their teeth. ?

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I could be wrong but there does seem to be a difference between what constitutes a plug in the U.S and the U.K?
In the reviews I’ve seen of U.S plugs, they seem to be easily broken and rubbed out with fingers alone?
The U.K plugs sometimes need an oxyacetylene torch to get any off!
Could the U.S style of plug be a result of how chewing tobacco is prepared? I defy anyone to be able to bite through 3P’s or Warrior Plug, without snapping their teeth. ?
I've always used a knife to prepare the GLP plugs. I suppose you could treat it like a cake but I don't think it would do it any justice. And yeah, you could give a black eye with a plug of 3P's hahaha.

As to your question about the chewing tobacco, I really have no idea. It could just be an equipment thing. Interesting theory though.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m getting deeper into the wonderful world of plugs. At the moment I‘m really getting on with Revor, Cob and Warrior plug, the last kindly gifted by a forum member.

What are your favourites?

Maybe you can’t abide the plug…either way, have your say. ?
All the ones you mentioned are great plugs! I would also add Condor Plug to your list. If you can find any, it would be worth your while to keep an eye out for Erinmore & Velvan Plug. Both have been discontinued but every now and then you can find them for sale.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I wish there was an easily obtainable VaPer plug out there - a true dense plug like Salty Dogs. I should probably just stop whining and smoke the decent amount of Salty Dogs I already have. Finding one with a bit more perique would be nice though.

Nothing better to me than cube cutting it into nice meaty chunks, drying it really well, gravity filling and letting those chunks smolder away, cool and slow.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I wish there was an easily obtainable VaPer plug out there - a true dense plug like Salty Dogs. I should probably just stop whining and smoke the decent amount of Salty Dogs I already have. Finding one with a bit more perique would be nice though.

Nothing better to me than cube cutting it into nice meaty chunks, drying it really well, gravity filling and letting those chunks smolder away, cool and slow.

St. James plug is pretty great. BIte the bullet and put in a Synjeco order the next time they offer a sale. That's also where you'll find Cannon Plug and FV Plug. I got my Revor there, but it's no longer available.

I shave all my plugs.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
St. James plug is pretty great. BIte the bullet and put in a Synjeco order the next time they offer a sale. That's also where you'll find Cannon Plug and FV Plug. I got my Revor there, but it's no longer available.

I shave all my plugs.
I like to shave mine as well, though I've never done a cube cut so I can't say if I like it or not. Might try it next time

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
All the ones you mentioned are great plugs! I would also add Condor Plug to your list. If you can find any, it would be worth your while to keep an eye out for Erinmore & Velvan Plug. Both have been discontinued but every now and then you can find them for sale.
Definitely would love to try Condor and Erinmore plug but I reckon that those who have some and going to shout about it! ??
Condor plug is available in Ireland but it is almost prohibitively expensive for 25g’s of the stuff and I worry the new version won’t be as good as I hope it will be.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I like to shave mine as well, though I've never done a cube cut so I can't say if I like it or not. Might try it next time
I think it depends on plug density for me.
Last night I had a bowl of Warrior and there was no other way than to shave it, it’s that compacted. Same goes for Cannon, Bosun and Cob plugs as well.
Revor however, I can get quite a decent flake off and then cubing it up is a doddle because it’s not as baked.