PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I have been swayed into buying a Zippo from a well known online auction site; it was only £15 with postage, so I thought ‘why not?’ and bought it.

The only issue I have with it is that it doesn’t like to light, without a good few spins of the wheel; what’s going on?

I have already changed the flint and the wick for genuine Zippo replacements, and have gone through a good 2/3rds of a can of authentic Zippo fuel. I’ve opened the cotton packing out in the tank, and I have put in the new wick in the recommended ‘s’ position.

The only thing left to change is the flint wheel itself; so what am I doing wrong?

Reactions: MGAOKC and JOHN72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Depends on how old and how much it's been used, the wheel might be worn off. In which case, you might need new insert. I don't know a way to replace the wheel. I'm sure if you send that off to Zippo, they might just replace the whole thing.

Reactions: JOHN72 and warren

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
If it’s been dried out for awhile get it going and let it burn for a little while so the wick
starts to draw fuel then close it and let it cool off.
Refill it but don‘t overfill it.
Fill it slowly and let each squirt of fuel absorb into the cotton.
Once it‘s not absorbing fuel and the fuel starts to pool up stop.
While closed, shake it vigorously then wipe off any seepage.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Here in the southeast of Spain, we never have extreme cold, the temperatures make my zippo run dry of fuel in a short time. I have never tried it, but I could leave it in the fridge, for the summer months or very hot, hahahahahahah. I love these devices. I love this mythical brand of lighters. Our good friend burleybreath, gave me one as a gift, always grateful my friend.

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I use a Zippo as my primary ignition source. I love them for their simplicity and ease of use. The only drawback of course is that they need to be refueled periodically and every once in awhile, change the flint. I usually refuel mine every two to three days depending on use. I also keep a spare flint tucked down in the cotton on the bottom area of the lighter. As RustiePyles mentioned, if you can't get it to work, send it back to Zippo. They'll fix or replace at no charge.

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Zippo still offers a lifetime warranty. If it's not working, simply send it back and they'll either fix it or send you a new one. That's the easiest way to get the lighter issues addressed. But I'm not sure if with postage from where you are still be worth it.

Reactions: captpat and JOHN72

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
When you light a Zippo you need to move it. Jerk your hand as you flick the wheel, that'll work.
There does seem to be an “optimal catch” turn of the wheel, but I’ve just. Tried to flick the hand when lighting and it still took 14 flicks before it caught - I’ve only just put some more fluid in the tank.

Reactions: JOHN72

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
IMG_4416.jpeg
I’ve just ordered this little kit for a few quid, primarily for the little black gasket bottom right, but I did notice on the YouTube videos, most Zippo’s have 5 rayon pads, mine has two, so that might be something to do with it as well.

As always, thanks for your help and suggestions.

Reactions: JOHN72

Piping Abe

Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
View attachment 242851
I’ve just ordered this little kit for a few quid, primarily for the little black gasket bottom right, but I did notice on the YouTube videos, most Zippo’s have 5 rayon pads, mine has two, so that might be something to do with it as well.

As always, thanks for your help and suggestions.
Sure sounds like you need more cotten. Once you repack with that kit, you should be all set

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It sounds like this lighter has been trouble than a Zippo is worth. If you have the new pads, you can try them to see if that fixes the problem and if it doesn't send it back to Zippo. Let them see if they can fix it.