PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I have read most of the studies(or lack thereof) but would like to get a real world sample of pipe smokers. How many years have you smoked? How old are you? Do you have any health issues you believe stem from piping?

I'm 42 years old, have been piping only a couple of years... no issues yet?
60 years old. Smoked cigs since the age of 14 and continue to this day. Always menthol. I've been enjoying cigars and pipe tobacco for around 15 years. No tobacco related issues as of yet.

Reactions: romaso

Warlee

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2022
Michigan
Seems when you look at the stats from around the world, the main health issues in the US stem from lack of exercise and poor diet. There are other countries with more smokers with fewer cardiovascular issues.

That being said inhaling any kind of smoke is bad for you. Lungs are a delicate membrane. Years ago I was involved with a project that built a small ethanol plant in Mozambique for the purposes of making cooking canisters for the people there. Traditionally they used charcoal in their small houses, no chimney or anything so they inhaled a lot of smoke. Many people there didn’t make it to 50 yrs old due to lung issues. Not tobacco just wood smoke.

I think as has been stated many times, a little moderation, decent diet and most of all, being physically active are the best predictors of good health.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
My grandmother smoked cigarettes until she was in her mid 70s, approximately. She lived to be 91 and died of natural causes. I know she's a wild exception, but I hope some of those genetics will work in my favor.

Although I'm a younger fellow generally, I sadly did abuse cigarettes (my way of thinking of it) for 18 years.

Although my health is good by any objective measure I do feel that I have some lingering effects from cigarette smoking, which is now 8 years in the rear view mirror. Because of this I'm taking steps to limit my consumption even from the pipe, and enjoy it more as a special event than a daily practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.