Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Hey folks!

So, I Google stuff for a living..but, I want a "live" opinion...

After years of pipe smoking, and a disdain for Latakia...I have become crazy, spooky into Mac Baren Plumcake

...it's not that I dislike Latakia, I realize...I just really like it as a condiment! ..so many "English blends" seem to be overpowered by this enigmatic leaf...

That said, I am, even years n years into the hobby, a babe in the woods:

What are yer favorite "light" (LIGHT!) Latakia blends?

Cheers!

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
So funny that you brought this up as I was just about to post an impression of Ashton‘s Consummate Gentleman. As others have said above Presbyterian, Early Morning Pipe, are both my morning smokes back and forth depending on how I’m feeling or what’s available.

I went to my local tobacconist today looking for EMP and they were out and I’ve been smoking Presby for a couple weeks needing a bit more oomph and he suggested CG.

Interesting thing about it? No orientals ( excepting a pinch of Latakia considered an Oriental) Just Virginia,Maryland and Burley, and a bit of Latakia. Highly recommended if you want a bit more body in a medium English with that Latakia in back , it’s sweet ,it’s spicy , buns a bit fast but cool even when pushed.

Got really burned out on Latakia by GL pease Quiet Nights and Scottish blends still had too much , Presbyterian, nice but a bit bland , EMP not available, so I think I lucked out and got a Goldie Locks blend here , nice medium English and I love Burley so I’m set…

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
A good friend of mine smokes Sutliff's Aromatic English #504 as his main tobacco and it's exactly what you're looking for. Virginia, Cavendish, with a splash of Lat and Vanilla. Cool smoking, good aroma, and just a bit of campfire smokiness from the Lat.

Reactions: Cap and kg.legat0

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Thanks for chiming in here folks!!!

I am looking forward to exploring the part of the map - I can't put the Plumcake away, it needs some company too!

My previous experiences, I realized, were definitely with 'Lat bombs' - primarily C&D Mississippi Mud, years ago. It was just 'too much'. Being able to taste the Latakia as a component rather than have it be the whole show has given me a welcome, fresh perspective. Thanks again for your suggestions!

With the last aged jar of 5100 I opened I added a pinch of latakia to the jar, mixed it in, and aged it for a few more months. I am still working on that jar now, and I love it. I wish that there were more of these very lightly dusted latakia blends. Sometimes I just want a touch of leather, not a freaking full blown campfire.