PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
What have you learned about getting the best out of your lighter?
I observed it was always taking two thumb spins with my Clipper lighter to get a flame. Tried pressing the gas briefly first, then the full flint light and got a dependable light. Now will be my SOP. Curious to know any other tips with any lighter.
IMG_6088.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Q tip and alcohol on the Old Boy and Peterson lighters when stuff starts to build up. Otherwise they are first time every time.

Make sure I put the tiny and special nozzle clearing tool for the Beattie where I know I can find it, which isn't usually where it was the last time I tried do that.

No Zippo worries - they tell me when they are out, tell me if they need a flint, otherwise just keep going.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
If you don't have the original box and envelope, it'll fit in the lighter case. I've never actually had to use it yet.
Thanks, never thought of that! LOL, it's the little box I'm always "losing". The really old and well used one I have gets finicky if not used for a long time and the tool is usually the answer. The new old one needs a flint, still haven't tried it and need to! Just got a little packet of new flints last week.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
i've had to use the q-tip alcohol tip on my Vertigo electronic lighter. It helped, but still not 'like new.' When new, was instant flame one click without fail. Now it is 2-5 click to get flame. It will always work (when it has fuel) but that is a bit disappointing even for a $20 lighter.
IMG_6090.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
i've had to use the q-tip alcohol tip on my Vertigo electronic lighter. It helped, but still not 'like new.' When new, was instant flame one click without fail. Now it is 2-5 click to get flame. It will always work (when it has fuel) but that is a bit disappointing even for a $20 lighter.
View attachment 266172
A quirk of piezoelectric lighters. My IM Corona Pipemasters never light on the first click regardless of the fuel I use.

G

Gimlet

View attachment 266172
Your Vertigo is doing better than mine. Sometimes it's one click, then twenty and nothing happens, or when it does it's almost out of gas because of all the failed ignitions. I can see the spark and hear the gas but it will not light. When it does the flame goes from 1/4" to 3" all on it's own without me touching the wheel.
It's been like that from new. It's a maddening lighter.

• Wow
Reactions: Scottmi
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I find butane lighters infuriating. Petrol lighters are much more reliable, for me it's a Zippo or a Ronson. They never fail, and are much more impervious to wind. I have a quite an Old Boy I use from time to time and It's a quality lighter, but next to useless outside.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
What have you learned about getting the best out of your lighter?
I observed it was always taking two thumb spins with my Clipper lighter to get a flame. Tried pressing the gas briefly first, then the full flint light and got a dependable light. Now will be my SOP. Curious to know any other tips with any lighter.
View attachment 266104

The clippers can be a pain in the a..

Sometimes I stretch the spring, that helps for a while.

Reactions: Scottmi