Limited Edition Coin Twis Tins (K&K, Peterson, and Rattrays)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Hello Folks. I got a few of those pretty 100g tins that get released to mark the year or season. They all come with a sealed bag inside of the rectangular tin. I’ve always kept it inside the bag until there wasn’t enough to grab and the I dump it straight into the metal tin. Should I dump it sooner or does the plastic bag provide protection?

• Wow
Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Simple answer: If it tends to turn crispy, jar it. If you want to keep it in the tin, move it to a mylar ziploc. Be aware, though, that folding the zip seal (to fit in the tin) destroys its integrity. Maybe decant the entire tin to a jar and dole out small amounts to the tin as needed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hello Folks. I got a few of those pretty 100g tins that get released to mark the year or season. They all come with a sealed bag inside of the rectangular tin. I’ve always kept it inside the bag until there wasn’t enough to grab and the I dump it straight into the metal tin. Should I dump it sooner or does the plastic bag provide protection?
The sealed bags aren't worth spit. Given time the contents will turn to dust. Jar or seal in metallized mylar for long term protection.

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
How long does it take you to smoke the bag? Unless you live in high humidity, I'd jar it if you take more than a week.
I don’t jar anything. Most of my stuff lives in tins and bags. I have an insane amount of stuff open at any time. Takes me a few years to get through it with all the rotating. But I live in a very mild climate, so nothing seems to get too dry, or wet.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I don’t jar anything. Most of my stuff lives in tins and bags. I have an insane amount of stuff open at any time. Takes me a few years to get through it with all the rotating. But I live in a very mild climate, so nothing seems to get too dry, or wet.
If it makes you feel any better, I have a gazillion 8oz mason jars in my rotation. I obviously prefer to jar my tobacco but if you're happy with your bag and tins, you should continue what you're doing.

Yes, metalized mylar is what the fancy snacks come in. Folks like to use it for long term storage because it can be heat sealed and is lighter and easier to handle than glass jars. You can get mylar bags on Amazon or ebay in various sizes and thicknesses. 7 mil is about the thickest I've seen and seem to be choice among folks here.

• Love
Reactions: BriarsAndBottles

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Metallized Mylar? Is that like the bags you get fancy snacks in?
It's Mylar that's been coated with metal. Mylar on its own is not impermeable, so contents will dry out. The metal coating drops the permeability to near zero, and if you buy the 7mil food grade bags, it is zero. For long storage, heat seal the bags. You're good for years.

These are what I use:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks everyone for the help. I’ll look into some Mylar. Wanted to see if there was any concern of putting the tobacco on the metal directly and that looks like a no.
A lot of tobaccos are packed in Mylar, like all of the Esoterica bags. GL Pease was bagged in Mylar in the early 2000's and it's held up really well. So no, no concerns.
For this move I transferred everything in jars to Mylar. No broken glass worries.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
nevermind. I found another thread. A lot of people heat seal tins in mylar.
I mylar all my square tins (SG mostly but some Mac Baren also). They tend to be hit and miss on getting/holding a good seal. I don't seal any circular tins. I cellar C&D and Peterson style tins as they come and they've all held up nicely. They do need checking occasionally to ensure seals are goood