PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gandalf The Grey

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2024
Origanally from Oxford, England
I am thinking about getting some sheep. My grandparents used to raise them before they had my mom. I have no clue where to start. Does anyone here have any experience with sheep? I'm looking for a multipurpose breed that I can sell the wool, meat, and milk. I'm thinking merino sheep.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
I'm experienced with sheep. Wool is a pain. You better know a shearer, be ready to pay them, or be ready to clip em yourself which is wrestling large animals. We had hair sheep and had them for meat. Sheep die without any notice. Strong the night before their death. Merinos are the cutest little things ever though. Not sure about their temperament. There is a shearer shortage in the US so the majority of them come from New Zealand. You need to rotate pasture to keep them on fresh grass and out of dung and from over eating the grasses. Your climate will have big impact on your experience. Have hay for the winter months in dry storage or pay a premium if you wait too long. Learn about sheep pregnancy, mothering and bottle substitutions when necessary. Learn about injections and hoof clipping. Be able to protect them from coyotes. Have means to transport fresh water every day. Unless it's your full time job, you will need help with labor to some capacity. Good luck. I love sheep. I'd say goats are easier but I'm unfamiliar. Pigs are a pain too. Chickens are probably easiest as long as you're on top of their ailments. Know your processor if you end up with livestock for meat. Do as much research as you can before receiving live animals on your property. And then do some more. Seriously, it can be a huge loss of investment in terms of time and money.

Gandalf The Grey

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2024
Origanally from Oxford, England
I'm experienced with sheep. Wool is a pain. You better know a shearer, be ready to pay them, or be ready to clip em yourself which is wrestling large animals. We had hair sheep and had them for meat. Sheep die without any notice. Strong the night before their death. Merinos are the cutest little things ever though. Not sure about their temperament. There is a shearer shortage in the US so the majority of them come from New Zealand. You need to rotate pasture to keep them on fresh grass and out of dung and from over eating the grasses. Your climate will have big impact on your experience. Have hay for the winter months in dry storage or pay a premium if you wait too long. Learn about sheep pregnancy, mothering and bottle substitutions when necessary. Learn about injections and hoof clipping. Be able to protect them from coyotes. Have means to transport fresh water every day. Unless it's your full time job, you will need help with labor to some capacity. Good luck. I love sheep. I'd say goats are easier but I'm unfamiliar. Pigs are a pain too. Chickens are probably easiest as long as you're on top of their ailments. Know your processor if you end up with livestock for meat. Do as much research as you can before receiving live animals on your property. And then do some more. Seriously, it can be a huge loss of investment in terms of time and money.
You just talked me into goats. I've had pigs and they aren't hard for me.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Pigs need significantly less land. A lot of that stuff still applies to goats. They are much more personable in my brief times with them. There's a bigger market for their meat and milk also. Make sure to band/castrate the boys so you can sell their meat. a couple rams are good to have for protection and breeding

Reactions: Gandalf The Grey