LJ Peretti Thanksgiving Day: Tastes of Latakia?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I've had the weirdest experience with TGD this year (TGD '22). Last year and even earlier this fall, I got the clear nutty, distinct burley flavor but I noticed on Thanksgiving Day (the literal day), that the blend tasted nearly identical to Havana Daydream. I have no idea what's going on with the blend or with how I'm smoking it. When I first lit it up it tasted like the old TGD that I was familiar with but after about 20 puffs, it went straight into a latakia flavor. Is this part of the aging process/has anyone else had this happen?

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I’ve irregularly smoked TGD ‘22 over the past year and haven’t encountered any Latakia-like flavors.

Any possibility of flavor transfer from a reused jar lid, bag, or storage next to Latakia?

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Never got Latakia from TGD. But there could be cigar leaf in it. I’ve never tasted that either. Habana Daydream is one of my favorites. Smoke it a lot. It taste nothing like TGD 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Scottmi

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I’ve irregularly smoked TGD ‘22 over the past year and haven’t encountered any Latakia-like flavors.

Any possibility of flavor transfer from a reused jar lid, bag, or storage next to Latakia?
That’s possible. It also could be that the flavor of burley that’s being too hot could taste similar to Latakia. Usually would smoke it while walking which I usually smoke hot

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Never heard of latakia occurring because one has aged somewhat. I have heard of people developing a fondness for VaPer over time.

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I have the same experience with TD. I am very sensitive to Latakia and can detect even the smallest amounts. I swear it is in TD. I called LJP and they said I was nuts lol. No idea but unfortunately I can’t smoke the stuff.

Reactions: fishmansf

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I have the same experience with TD. I am very sensitive to Latakia and can detect even the smallest amounts. I swear it is in TD. I called LJP and they said I was nuts lol. No idea but unfortunately I can’t smoke the stuff.
Finally, I feel like I’m not going insane!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I've had the weirdest experience with TGD this year (TGD '22). Last year and even earlier this fall, I got the clear nutty, distinct burley flavor but I noticed on Thanksgiving Day (the literal day), that the blend tasted nearly identical to Havana Daydream. I have no idea what's going on with the blend or with how I'm smoking it. When I first lit it up it tasted like the old TGD that I was familiar with but after about 20 puffs, it went straight into a latakia flavor. Is this part of the aging process/has anyone else had this happen?
I haven’t had TD, but I thought the same thing about their 101 mixture. They told me no lat, so maybe one of their proprietary aromatic toppings has something in it which tastes like Latakia to some people.

Reactions: Mrs. Pickles