PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Precisely this it cheapens the look significantly

You want to talk about making things look cheap, I personally think the name stamped in Black letters on the shank makes this pipe look cheaper than the logo on the steam.

Nice looking grain on a pipe, with awful black letters, what were they thinking, who knows, but this is clearly distasteful, and someone who lacks class, that came up with this bright idea. LOL ?

Black lettering is not something commonly seen, nor have I ever seen black letters on expensive pipes.

Now, for the few pipes I’ve seen black letters stamped on them, I wasn’t interested in owning, as someone wanting to not only smoke pipes, but collect them.

P.S. If this was my company, I would of simply come up with a nice looking R to stamp on the stem.

Last edited:
Reactions: vosBghos

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I used to wish the engraving on my pipe shanks were more pronounced but after seeing that Rattrays I'm really glad they are very subtle.
Less is more for me.

Saying that though, when I'm smoking my pipe, how it looks is the farthest thing from my mind!

Reactions: vosBghos

Morsoth

Lurker
Feb 27, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, Canada
Sadly Rattray’s , it looks like something 90’s raver girl would want tattooed on her shoulder, if it was embossed and small I’d get it but all big and wonky in gold on the shank it’s too overpowering I couldn’t look at that. Luckily they do have models that are more tasteful but I passed on a few fore sure. I do some graphic design gigs here and there so it’s like taking work with me when I want to relax I don’t want to see aggressive logos…
That's funny! The Triskele (Rattray's logo) is what made me buy a Rattray pipe! I'm in utter love with anything Irish or Celtic, and I needed that pipe especially because of the logo.

But I completely understand that it can be something any kid would made a tattoo of, like tribal lines!

Reactions: PipeIT and vosBghos