PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Some of you may remember a little thread I did a few years ago where I put a brand new Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe on my roof for 6 months and documented how it fared.

The pipe did very well, and I hope it helped dispel some misconceptions that cobs are disposable and not durable.

I've decided to try this 'experiment' again, but with a Chinese cob from AliExpress. Will this cob have the same resilience as its MM counterpart? Will it fare better?

The pipe itself was around $6 shipped to my door. I will say shipping took incredibly long for whatever the reason, but you get what you pay for in terms of shipping.

1000000652.jpg

Here are some pictures of the new, actual pipe.

1000000653.jpg1000000654.jpg1000000655.jpg1000000656.jpg1000000657.jpg1000000658.jpg

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I never understood why anyone would buy a Chinese cob to actually smoke when one can buy a real cob for the same price or a couple dollars more.
It would be interesting to put a MM Missouri Pride - the pipe they intended to copy - to the same test alongside it. I think I know what the outcome would be.

• Wow
Reactions: woodsroad

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I never understood why anyone would buy a Chinese cob to actually smoke when one can buy a real cob for the same price or a couple dollars more.
It would be interesting to put a MM Missouri Pride - the pipe they intended to copy - to the same test alongside it. I think I know what the outcome would be.
Click the link in the first post.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
or in other words science is a dirty little minx. Which seriously he shouldn't be surprised with how much science is into almost any kind of experimentation.
I don’t know about that.
I did a lot of experimenting in my youth, and although some of it involved chemicals and bodily fluids, I’d be lying if I claimed there was science involved.

• Haha
Reactions: ThermionicScott