Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
Hey this ones for all you Michiganders and even those who arnt that know our state. Ive been trying to find a pipe shop that sells tins but it seems to be a thing of the past. Pauls Pipe Shop from what i can tell on their website doesnt carry tinned tobacco but at least they carry a variety. All of the tobacco shops ive found all carry minimal pipe tobacco. I would gladly drive to get my tobacco if i could find some. I swear sometimes i feel like i missed the era i should have been born in. 😂
Anyways if any of you know of any place let me know.

Reactions: Cap
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Paul's is an institution. Their focus is aromatics and Arrowhead is a staple in my rotation. It's a kitchen sink blend with vanilla, carmel, and other flavors (think 1-Q on steroids).

Campbell's is East Lansing is decent. In undergrad, my staple was Old Onyx which was a smokey aromatic. Their Dr. M. blend is decent and I'm told the English blends are good.

The Wild Bill's chain is meh regarding house blends and carrys Ashton tins. There are a few in Grand Rapids, Jackson, and Saint Clair Shores areas.

A small list of 15 shops can be found at the Retail Directory on this site.

Michigan has a strong presence on the forum, so some other members may "pipe" up.

Happy hunting and please update us on your experiences.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
There's a place called Port Royal Tobacco & Cigars in Dundee across the drive from the Cabela's. Literally right off US23, half way between Toledo & Ann Arbor.

I used to stop there frequently. It's primarily cigars, but they do carry tins, house blends and a nice selection of pipes. Friendly folks there too.

As a plus, there's an awesome jerky shop on the other side of the parking lot. If you're driving a semi or a camper, you can park at Cabela's and walk over.

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
There's a place called Port Royal Tobacco & Cigars in Dundee across the drive from the Cabela's. Literally right off US23, half way between Toledo & Ann Arbor.

I used to stop there frequently. It's primarily cigars, but they do carry tins, house blends and a nice selection of pipes. Friendly folks there too.

As a plus, there's an awesome jerky shop on the other side of the parking lot. If you're driving a semi or a camper, you can park at Cabela's and walk over.
Ill hit them up on my way back home this week. Thanks.

Reactions: Streeper541

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
Paul's is an institution. Their focus is aromatics and Arrowhead is a staple in my rotation. It's a kitchen sink blend with vanilla, carmel, and other flavors (think 1-Q on steroids).

Campbell's is East Lansing is decent. In undergrad, my staple was Old Onyx which was a smokey aromatic. Their Dr. M. blend is decent and I'm told the English blends are good.

The Wild Bill's chain is meh regarding house blends and carrys Ashton tins. There are a few in Grand Rapids, Jackson, and Saint Clair Shores areas.

A small list of 15 shops can be found at the Retail Directory on this site.

Michigan has a strong presence on the forum, so some other members may "pipe" up.

Happy hunting and please update us on your experiences.
Thank you for the help.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
It’s a big state as you know. Driving from where to where? Shops in Wyoming near GR and Newago on the west side. Nolan’s in TC. Ash is gone in Gaylord now.

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
It’s a big state as you know. Driving from where to where? Shops in Wyoming near GR and Newago on the west side. Nolan’s in TC. Ash is gone in Gaylord now.
I live about 1.5 Hours north of Saginaw. I make frequent trips to Ann Arbour for my kids medical appointments. So honestly anything along US23/I75 route would be great.

Reactions: Streeper541

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
For anyone that cares to know. Stopped at Port Royal Cigar & Pipe shop. They had a small but nice selection of tinned tobacco. They had some C&D, GL Pease Mac Barren and several others. They also had a selection of house blends, most were aromatics. They do have a english house blend that is pretty dang good as well. Ended up grabbing a tin of GL Pease Haddo's Delight. Prices were comparable to shopping online and getting hit with excise tax and shipping so its a fair trade off i suppose, as I rather shop in person and support a local business. Staff was super friendly and helpful as well.

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
There's Maison Edwards in Ann Arbor. Not a very big shop, but a cool atmosphere. I was only there once, 6-7 years ago, so I can't remember much about the selection. We're going to a game next month, so I plan on stopping by if time allows.

We tried to stop at Paul's on the way to visit a friend in August, but all of the downtown streets were blocked off. Turns out the CRIM was that weekend, and we didn't have time to park and walk. I was so mad. Gonna try again on the way to Ann Arbor next month.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit

If you were not aware, the Cigar Affair is in Maumee (Toledo) and supposedly just stepped up their pipe tobacco game wit C&D tins at reasonable prices.

I stumbled across the name and figured I would share for those in Northern Ohio.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
There's Maison Edwards in Ann Arbor...
This is a delightful shop, tucked away in what is called Nickle's Arcade (a covered narrow avenue of stores in the downtown area). Here you will find tinned tobaccos, plus some house-blends that are outstanding, among them No. 28 - Arcadia, No. 34 - Sherman's Blend, and No. 26 - Old Grandad. I recommend them highly.

Reactions: Amarkey and judcole

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
Update: stopped at Nickels Arcade today and visited Maison Edwards. What a beautiful little area and wonderful small store. Store keeper was very friendly and after talking for a bit i bought some of his own blend. Cant remember the name but it is a nice aromatic with a small amount of latakia. It reminds me a bit of Edward G Robinson pipe tobacco. Price was a little on the steeper side but honestly it was worth it.
Besides from carrying his own blends he had a small selection of Mac Barren and a few pouches of another brand, whose name eludes me at this moment.

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
Tobacco Town in Trenton, MI has recently started carrying GL Pease and Cornell & Diehl tins. They also have a good selection of Rossi, Savinelli and Peterson pipes.
Thats great to hear. Ill have to swing by and check them out as well