PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
Hello! I'm on the hunt for an old production Peterson Silver System Spigot. I don't know if pre-republic would be an option under old production in this model, but would love to know!

I'd like to post an ad in the for sale page, but I need some help in understanding some Peterson history to make a proper post in the above noted thread.

I'd be looking for a medium sized bowl, p-lip if available in the original configuration with a higher grade (unsure which grade to reasonably shoot for).

Would love to hear some recommendations from my more seasoned fellow pipers and learning some cool history/facts/information along the way!

I look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks, and all the best!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The market for Pre-Republic Peterson's is currently really hot, old Pete's are selling for a premium. Pre-Republic (pre 1949) spigots are not very common they just didn't make many of them. They didn't really start making alot of Spigots until the late 70's. A Pre-Republic Spigot in good shape is gonna go for a lot of money in the current market. Modern Spigots on the other hand are readily available at nominal prices from places like Smoking Pipes. The Red spigot line and spigot system lines can both be had new for less than $200 in most cases, a natural spigot is gonna set you back $300+ though. The Newgrange line offers cumberland acrylic stems with spigots and lovely blasts and comes in somewhere around $160.

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
The market for Pre-Republic Peterson's is currently really hot, old Pete's are selling for a premium. Pre-Republic (pre 1949) spigots are not very common they just didn't make many of them. They didn't really start making alot of Spigots until the late 70's. A Pre-Republic Spigot in good shape is gonna go for a lot of money in the current market. Modern Spigots on the other hand are readily available at nominal prices from places like Smoking Pipes. The Red spigot line and spigot system lines can both be had new for less than $200 in most cases, a natural spigot is gonna set you back $300+ though. The Newgrange line offers cumberland acrylic stems with spigots and lovely blasts and comes in somewhere around $160.
Thank you, Rusty!