PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Has anyone tried Low Country Tobacco?
I happened upon these while browsing at smokingpipes.com...I did a few searches on these forums and couldn't find any mentions (then being a newbie, I don't know if I have full user rights here yet or a lite version). Apologies if this topic has already been started.
I'd be tempted to try them based upon the name alone. Wife and I visited the "Low Country" area of SC (Beaufort, HHI, Charleston, etc.) last year and simply fell in love with it down there. It's quaint Southern charm, historical buildings, large old oaks with Spanish moss...we walked the quiet streets where part of the movie "Forrest Gump" was filmed.
OK, I know it's a stretch but if the Low Country Tobacco could somehow evoke some of my memories of that wonderful area, I'd be all over it but in the interim I'll defer to the knowledge base in this forum. Anyone tried them?
Thanks in advance,

Bruce

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
The 2 I have are Cooper and Waccamaw. I've been getting into flakes and these 2 are likely to be in my Top100 cellar. There are not many Latakia flakes, and Cooper differs from the Latbombs (Old Ironsides, Bengal Slices, Penzance, I suppose Pirate Kake, Lancer's Slices) in that it's lighter and more complex. It reminds me more of Holly's Discovery and Star of the East Flake. It's not as light as Germain's Special Lat Flake or Brebbia's No.9. It has more Latakia character that SG Navy Flake and Anniversary.
Waccamaw reminds me of Red Carpet, though I think of it as mainly a VA.
hp

les

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I'm with you in that I like to research everything before I buy it but if you have a sentimental connection to a place or concept, then go for it. Just make sure that the blend's contents are something you enjoy. I also love Charleston.
As far as a concrete review, I don't have one but if you're attracted to one of their blends, you could probably do worse.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
These are the house blends of Low Country Pipes and Cigar (Smokingpipes.com), which is located in the "Low Country" near Charleston. Their house blends are made by C&D and are absolutely top-notch. The best of the lot is Cooper, an awesome Balkan-type flake. Santee is a very fine apple-flavored aromatic, and Waccamaw is a Va/Per with an oriental twist. I highly recommend trying them.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
The price seems pretty reasonable and the Cooper sounds really good. 4 stars on that one!

bdstansel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Thanks All! I do appreciate the comments, info and links. I am all for trying Cooper and Waccamaw...too bad I just placed an order. Is it just me...or is the free UPS shipping responsible for adding a few "extra" things to the shopping cart just to hit that minimum purchase amount to get there? :D
Thanks again!

adam12

May 16, 2011
I am sure they will send you a small sample if you write them.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Yeah they are really good with that sort of thing. They could send you a small sleeve of tobacco, about enough for a half a bowl or so.

Jul 12, 2011
Both Cooper and Waccamaw are some of my Favs, haven't tried the others...but have an aging tin of Santee, which sounds really good as well
From the Tins;
Copper:

The confluence of the Cooper and Ashley Rivers create Charleston Harbor, the most important port in the antebellum South. Following trade winds, goods flowed to points north and, especially, across the Atlantic to the great British ports of call. Commemorating the Cooper River's contribution to world trade, we have selected choice Orientals and Cyprian Latakia to accent a base of fine Bright Leaf and Red Virginias to create this exceptional medium English Flake.
Waccamaw;

he Waccamaw River meanders through the eastern Carolinas, part of the Pee Dee River basin, a region intertwined with the history of tobacco for three centuries. What finer homage to this heritage than a rich, hearty Virginia flake? Bright leaf serving as the base is typical of the tobaccos grown in this region, while beautiful Red Virginias lend it sweetness and structure. Perique and a dash of exotic Izmir leaf complete this complex, satisfying flake.
Santee;

The Santee River has been central to South Carolina history since early colonial times. Particularly suited to rice cultivation, the swamps of the Santee River soon gave rise to stately manors. This sophisticated Virginia based aromatic captures the languid lifestyle that was synonymous with the region. Subtly fruity, with hints of apple, this would be the perfect accompaniment to a mint julep on a sultry summer night.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I also highly recommend Santee. I know that many of us aren't big into aromatics (I'm not either) but it's really something special. It's more akin to Autumn Evening than 1-Q. Very mild apple flavor on a base of top-notch VAs. Great stuff. Cooper is a top-shelf blend all the way, and Waccamaw is of similar quality although it's not "my thing."

Status
Not open for further replies.