PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

As spring is coming (no, not winter...), also the walks during my lunchbreak are on the horizon again.

As a noob (I get 2 cobs in the mail, 5th avenue bends) i'm also looking for a smaller pipe I can smoke on my 30 minute lunchbreak walk. I do get that I could also smoke the cobs during those walks, but if I can find a reason to burn money on new stuff just because I can, I will do it!

A smaller bent billiard like the Savinelli 614 attracts me, especially as it looks like a great clencher for walking, but I also understand that a full bend pipe is a little tricky to smoke due to moisture collection in the bottom of the pipe.

So any advise on a small clenching pipe for walking is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Your best bet would be to use the pipe locator tool on smokingpipes and punch in the specs you think would be the best pipe to suit your lunch break walks.
In the end, if it isn't a pipe you really love, it won't be going to lunch with you anyway. I'd shoot for a pipe you could envision smoking all the time. At home, on a walk, out and about. That way you have a pipe you're happy to have on lunch break, rather than having to get by with a lunch break pipe until you can smoke a better one. Especially if you're just starting out.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Your best bet would be to use the pipe locator tool on smokingpipes and punch in the specs you think would be the best pipe to suit your lunch break walks.
In the end, if it isn't a pipe you really love, it won't be going to lunch with you anyway. I'd shoot for a pipe you could envision smoking all the time. At home, on a walk, out and about. That way you have a pipe you're happy to have on lunch break, rather than having to get by with a lunch break pipe until you can smoke a better one. Especially if you're just starting out.
A Peterson system 317 might be a good fit. Minimum moisture issues because of the system. Army mount so it can be taken apart hot. Bent billiard with a small chamber and short overall length. Very pocketable, but also a good sit in the chair and smoke pipe.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I think for the money you can't go wrong. A good pipe for every day use, one you don't have to worry about anything happening to it.
Nice. Worth a go then. When i go out walking or just for general abuse it would be nice to have something i don't mind dropping too much! Been using the cheap Dr Plumb i got when i first started on the pipe but having another option would be handy.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Thank you all for your recommendations gentleman, much appreciated. The recommendations on the Falcon and Nording pipe and they might be very good, but they are not my thing. The Tsuge is very different pipe, but out of my price range. I like the Peterson suggestion, think the system pipe can be a good thing to mitigate the moisture issue I have read about.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Just wanted to note that many Dr Grabow pipes have small bowls. I don't think that they have any new production that are as bent as a Savinelli 614, but a savoy or an omega might do the trick for you.

Reactions: edger

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Peterson also has an Outdoors series - regular sized bowls with shortened stems.
I don't think they are available from SmokingPipes USA, but I've seen them from retailers in the UK eg Harrison and Simmonds

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
For a budget friendly option there is also Ropp.

Here is just one example from Smoking pipes.com that has a smaller chamber: