PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
I am seeing a few different sources describing this one as having natural flavors, but other sources stating that cocoa and similar topping added. Is this one natural or flavored? I am close to adding a couple tins, but was a bit confused by several sellers descriptions.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I am seeing a few different sources describing this one as having natural flavors, but other sources stating that cocoa and similar topping added. Is this one natural or flavored? I am close to adding a couple tins, but was a bit confused by several sellers descriptions.
If it's flavored, it was applied with a very light hand. All I get is the Burley in the smoke, although the tin note is suggestive of a faint cocoa whiff. I wouldn't call it aromatic under any circumstances.

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
If it's flavored, it was applied with a very light hand. All I get is the Burley in the smoke, although the tin note is suggestive of a faint cocoa whiff. I wouldn't call it aromatic under any circumstances.
Thank you. I have seen some discussion that the white burley adds the aromatic hints in a natural way.

Reactions: Elric

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I believe that it does have a gentle topping. The chocolate note is strong in the tin but lightly present in the bowl. I smoke virginias and vapers almost exclusively, however MacBaren London Burley will always have a place with me for so long as it is available. Really a great blend, with a price for 100 gr that is , frankly, a true bargain.
Do not hesitate to try a tin.

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
I tried it. The topping aroma was if someone had mixed in cocoa powder and was way stronger than described, but as stated, was less evident in the bowl. This confirmed my dislike of aromatic toppings, but it was not unpleasant. I enjoyed it but would rather do without the chocolate. I will leave it in the cellar and find it one day or give it away to someone. No regret. I just prefer plain tobacco.

Silverwing

Lurker
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
It is lightly topped with a cocoa and honey to my nose, the cocoa is virtually assured but the honey may be less evident to some. In the bowl I get a sort of musk note from the topping, like the smell of cologne you sprayed on a smoking jacket two days ago. It’s faint and underneath everything but definitely, unmistakably there.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I tried it. The topping aroma was if someone had mixed in cocoa powder and was way stronger than described, but as stated, was less evident in the bowl. This confirmed my dislike of aromatic toppings, but it was not unpleasant. I enjoyed it but would rather do without the chocolate. I will leave it in the cellar and find it one day or give it away to someone. No regret. I just prefer plain tobacco.
That also describes my impression of Sutliff Ready-Rubbed Match to a T. Not unpleasant, but the cocoa was way out there, and distracting. Now I'm glad that I've been giving BLB a miss, but happy for the people who enjoy it!

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I thought it to be nothing like the original, chocolate topping was overwhelming. Good burley does have that slight chocolate flavor but they took it too far in trying to mimic good burley. I'd call it a solid aromatic, not goopy but highly topped. I would not buy it again. I bought 10 tins at the first re- release, sorry I did.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve smoked previous versions of this blend. And, although I do enjoy subtle cocoa/chocolate note the you occasionally get from burley 🍂…I must say there is nothing subtle about the cocoa note of London Blend imho. 💁‍♂️☕